Cold Remedies

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
I'm coming down with the proverbial "flulike symptoms" and I mixed up my favorite remedy for the occasion:

2+ oz. bourbon or rye [rye today because it was handy]
Juice of 1/4 lemon
1 heaping Tbsp. honey
Mix in coffee mug and top with hot water

One of these and you feel a good deal better. Two or more, and if you're awake, you sure don't remember you were sick.

What do you gents pour from the "other medicine chest" when you're feeling sick?

In the old days I would drink a whole bottle of Robitussin with codeine cough medicine
and lay down.You will feel different.

Winslow :sunny:

I feel for ya... :(

When I come down with a vicious cold... I go for the strongest Balkan... only thing I can taste...

Doc Manhattan":7jan10yn said:
Juice of 1/4 lemon
1 heaping Tbsp. honey
Same remedy that I've been getting as long as I can remember. My folks always mixed it up when we were kids. Now I just usually skip the lemon and honey for a straight up shot! :lol:

Was raised on this recipe for a cough and/or cold. My sister also. Both my daughters swear by it! This past winter, my wife and I existed on "Hot Toddy's" for several weeks when we had colds or allergy problems. I tend to use dark rum for me instead of Bourbon as I'm not a big Bourbon fan. With the rum, I use lime juice instead of the lemon. Same effect, according to my wife, the nurse! FTRPLT

Doc Manhattan":8vbw49b4 said:
I'm coming down with the proverbial "flulike symptoms" and I mixed up my favorite remedy for the occasion:

Juice of 1/4 lemon
1 heaping Tbsp. honey

One of these and you feel a good deal better. Two or more, and if you're awake, you sure don't remember you were sick.

What do you gents pour from the "other medicine chest" when you're feeling sick?
Replace the bourbon with Paddy's Irish whiskey and you'd have the same concoction my brother and I were given by the tsp when we were little and had a head cold.
Not by our parents mind you but our grandparents.

paddy-boy":5rxbspu5 said:
Ah, yes... my grandmother swore by Coke with a shot of whiskey to "bring out" an incipient fever in kids.

(And I haven't had Paddy's in an age--I think it may be time to pick some up.)

Doc Manhattan":varxztx8 said:
paddy-boy":varxztx8 said:
Ah, yes... my grandmother swore by Coke with a shot of whiskey to "bring out" an incipient fever in kids.

(And I haven't had Paddy's in an age--I think it may be time to pick some up.)
Let me know if you find some.
The Last bottle I had in college came from Ireland.
I have not been able to find it here.

I know you could get it in NYC at some point, because for a while (2001-3?) it was my call whiskey in a few Irish pubs in Manhattan. I will visit the big old liquor store and will def. let you know if it's there and at how dear a price.