Collection

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dramatwist

Reaction score
Good Folks,

I've been doing some pipe-related reading recently, which prompted a consideration of my own indiscriminate collection.

I admire the "Connoisseur" pipe smokers who have the means to explore the upper-reaches of artisan pipe-makers... and I wish them well. I very much enjoy reading about their pipes and experiences, and learn a thing or two while doing so.

As for myself... though I've smoked a pipe for 40 years, I've never found myself in a position to catapult myself into that world... perhaps a good thing. I can picture getting a bit out of control, had I the funds to do so.

I have a half dozen pipes in my stable that I wouldn't trade for the $8,995.00 Bo Nordh I saw recently.

Or would I?

I suppose what I'm thinking about is that if I spent that much on a pipe and it turned out not to smoke to my satisfaction...

Dramatwist":lkwkv299 said:
I suppose what I'm thinking about is that if I spent that much on a pipe and it turned out not to smoke to my satisfaction...
I imagine you would be up the proverbial creek!  ;) 

herbinedave":v2grf4k0 said:
Dramatwist":v2grf4k0 said:
I imagine you would be up the proverbial creek!  ;) 
I know that creek! It's the one with the humorous name and no paddles!

In the end it's not the price of the pipe or the baccy in it. It's doing what makes you happy. Doesn't matter if it's drugstore baccy in a cob or an old tin of Sobranie in the finest artisan pipe. All I know is even a bad smoke is one of the more enjoyable things I do in a day :).

There's also a cost-benefit consideration, I'd argue, Yes, you can buy a terrific artisan pipe for $1000+. And you can buy a perfectly good Sebastien Beo (or other) for less than a Benjamin. I'm not saying there's a "Right" answer, but for me, the choice would be the less expensive, perfectly willing briar, and pocket the $900 difference.

Hiram-2011":2bm261aj said:
In the end it's not the price of the pipe or the baccy in it.  It's doing what makes you happy.  Doesn't matter if it's drugstore baccy in a cob or an old tin of Sobranie in the finest artisan pipe.  All I know is even a bad smoke is one of the more enjoyable things I do in a day :).
Here, Here!

I havent been smoking pipes for as long as you fellows might have . But I have realized the same . I have the prefered shape and I look for deals on estates. I get a great pleasure from restoring some of these pipes that some one enjoyed before and finding out why. And oh the old proverbial creek does have a paddle. One shouldnt leave home without one.

http://www.shitcreekpaddleshop.com/