Commonwealth Mixture Sam Gawith

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pseudo Nim

Reaction score
A 50 / 50 mixture of very fine heavily steamed virginia and Latakia, full strength it says on the tin, however, these two have been married so well that hardly one dominates the other, resulting in a smooth unbelievably creamy smoke. Perhaps not one for the boys, more of a mans smoke. CM's darks, brights and browns mixed with the black Latakia look enticing enough in the tin, a mixture of shag and fine ribbon cut greets on opening, I don't dry out but pack moderately lightly into the biggest bowl I can lay my hands on. Burns well on the first match and within a few puffs, settles down to a long and creamy smoke. Unlike Squadron Leader, which after a couple of bowls can be a little "Tangy" in the mouth, should greed take over on the puffing of the second or third bowl in succesion, (a feat of which I have been guilty on more than one occasion), CM is perhaps more forgiving, the sweetness of the virginia's compliment perfectly the smooth Latakia.

I'm not sure of Full Strength, perhaps medium to full. This ones been around for some two hundred years and rightly so. As I sit here with a pipe of CM and think of those who smoked it before us, and perhaps gained much comfort taste and pleasure, one can only hope that many more generations of pipesmokers will be able to enjoy what we have now.

I have a tin of that blend in my cellar,I've yet to try it.Now you've made me want
to open it up this weekend with that review. :bounce:

Winslow :sunny:

Two tins aging....haven't smoked any in about two years :suspect: So many blends, so little time :lol!: FTRPLT

I agree - it isn't "full strength" in terms of nicotine at all. But it is a delicious, forgiving blend. Totally for the smoker - this stuff has the room note as charming as a dead elephant. But it tastes amazing... kind of a grown up Frog Morton

I dry it out really dry... SG stuff is just too wet for me to enjoy.

Fantastic tobacco.... open a tin and order more, boys.