Comoy Pipe Tool & Austrian Lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PozzSka

Reaction score
There is a little shop in Akron, right on Market St. (the main road going east and west)

The gentleman who runs this place is certainly a character, and the place is not particularly inviting.
- There are no tobaccos or cigars out on display
- You're not allowed to go into the humidor (it's in "the back" and you just have to tell him what you want, no browsing).
- There are empty cigar boxes in an old jewelry wall display case showing the brands that are available.
- There are dozens of pipes hanging on the walls (behind the counter, of course, again,, no browsing)
- There area couple dozen pipes in the display cases as well.
- All of the pipes are covered in dust...bad...
- No pipe tobacco on display (except maybe 3 tins of Sutliff Private Stock, French quarter)

But all of that is beside the point...after talking to him for a bit, I saw

Nice little pipe tool...he also had a pipe lighter (made in Austria)

I'm not sure how long he's had them, but they work and work well.

Weird guy, weird shop, but had some nice old stuff...

That Comoy's pipe tool is neat NOS! I haven't seen one of those since the 80's! Get back there and check out some of those "dusty" pipes he has, you may find some real "finds" in the dust !! :twisted: 

monbla256":fx7skaa0 said:
That Comoy's pipe tool is neat NOS! I haven't seen one of those since the 80's! Get back there and check out some of those "dusty" pipes he has, you may find some real "finds" in the dust !! :twisted: 
Definitely, next time I'm out there, I'll buy that other pipe tool most likely, if it's still there, and take a closer look at the pipes on the wall.

I have that exact tamper. It's pretty nifty. Small design flaw in it, the three "clamps" that keep the bowl scraper in place when extended can sometimes prevent it from coming out if it gets dirty, or they get misaligned. Fortunately, you can unscrew the stepped tamping end (careful you don't lose anything) to clean it out/fix it.

I have about a half-dozen of those IMCO G77 lighters. They're funky and cheap, but work. Too bad IMCO is defunct.

8)

Had that exact pipe tool/tamper back in the 60's.  Now all I have are some of the parts.  It was a great pipe tamper even though it was tempermental at times.