Complete newbie to 'nasal snuff' questions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilted1

Reaction score
You guys have got my curiosity up. I've never partaken of nasal snuff, though I've used Copenhagen for many years.

I don't really know if I'm all that interested, mainly just curious. My questions are:

1. How really do you use nasal snuff?
2. What is required to try it out?
3. I have 'hay fever' in the spring and early summer, will nasal snuff give me sinus troubles if I try it?
4. Where does the snuff go once you've sniffed it, seems to me it would end up in the back of your throat.

I smoke strongish tobaccos, yet what I've read on Mars site leads me to believe that there are some snuffs which newbies should leave alone and others which seem to have recommendations for newbies. Is there that much of a difference in strengths? I've offered a 'dip' of Copenhagen to many a curious friend over the years, only to watch them go rather green around the gills a few minutes later.

I'm sure I'll get a variety of opinion, and that's really what I'm after, trying to make up my mind about whether I'd like to include a couple of tins to sample with my next tobacco order.

kilted1":qq8mc7s8 said:
3. I have 'hay fever' in the spring and early summer, will nasal snuff give me sinus troubles if I try it?
4. Where does the snuff go once you've sniffed it, seems to me it would end up in the back of your throat.
I guess I'll take this one. Being relatively new to snuff (bout a year).

You take about a pea size amount and gently sniff it into each nostril. Just into the nasal cavity, not the sinus membrane as some idiot local doctor was explaining to me.

A can of snuff, bout 3 dollars. Look it up next time you do ta tobacco order.

This will be only from my experiences. I have lived most of my life with allergies, but since I've used snuff I don't even use my Zyrtec nor sinus spray, yet I have a buddy that is alledegly making me a pipe (been a year since he cashed my check) that says it causes him to sneeze uncontrollably and is allegedly sending it to me.

It stays in your nostrils until you blow your nose (or pick it I guess). If it went in your throat, you sniffed a little to hard, yet it happens to me.
\

let me know if you would like some recommendations for starter snuffs.

Texas Outlaw summed it up pretty well. I tap a nose load on my index finger and sniff it off. For me, it will clean my nasal passages as long as their is enough passage to break through. Sniff too much and it makes you sneeze and your eyes water.

Yea, you get some taste in the back of your throat but the nicotene circulates through your taste buds and it's heavenly.

Snuff also gives you energy rush. You can't sit still. You grab a floor mop, weed spade, or lawn mower and kick ass. That's when the wife orders you to buy more.

What I've read so far, I'm interested in the following:

Wilsons of Sharrow: Aniseed Extra
Wilsons of Sharrow: Irish High Toast No. 22
Wilsons of Sharrow: Crumbs of Comfort

Pöschl: Gletscher Prise
Pöschl: Ozona President

and maybe:

Fribourg & Treyer: High Dry Toast

But I don't know if/as any of these are suitable for a novice ...

Those are good

One of the best to start with is Ozona raspberry.
Then Apricot

Then I'd hit President.

And go from there.

Cola used to be a great newbie snuff, but it's not available any longer.

Hey Kilted...best of luck in your snuffing. You folks down south have it way better for getting your hands on the stuff. Nicotinerush.com sells only snuff, and possibly they have sampler packs where you could pick up a few different ones.

One thing to consider is how you feel about menthol, and by association, mentholated snuffs. I hate mint and I hate menthol, so I can't stand snuffing anything remotely mentholated.

They're right about the energy rush. I can't smoke in the house (or even really when my parents are around) so I take snuff to keep me up all night when I'm doing work for school. As for getting it out, I usually blow my nose a little while after I've taken some snuff.

A can of snuff, bout 3 dollars.
Closer to 15 in Canada (it's classified as loose tobacco alongside RYO and pipe tobacco) however, most stores carry it so you can probably find a few to try locally, or online.

I take a pinch of it, whatever fits between the thumb and index fingers, and direct it to my nostrils. I DO NOT snort it as if it were cocaine. I put it in my nostrils and sniff gently. The snuff is supposed to sit in your nose, where the scent continues to delight you. If you snort it, all it does is go into your throat and make you gasp.

Every snuff-taker has a snuffing handkerchief, usually a dark handkerchief, (one can use a paper towel at home) in case one sneezes or needs to blow one's nose.

After about 10 minutes of the first pinch, one blows one's nose and takes a second one. By now the first pinch has cleared the passageways and primed the nose for real enjoyment. Continue in that way ad libitum.

The above is the classic French way of snuffing.

The German way is to place a dose onto the back of one's hand, under the index knuckle, where the hand makes a kind of depression, and to sniff the snuff from there. This is necessary if one is snuffing from a dispenser (Pöschl snuffs all come in dispensers that will deposit the exact amount necessary into the back of your hand.) One can also snuff from the depression on the handle of your gold-handled walking stick, but that's another story.

PS. You get what you pay for. Try fine snuffs from Fribourg & Treyer, Wilson's of Sharrow and Pöschl. It makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the subject Kilted1 and the answers everyone. I too am very new to snuff. If I remember correctly I bought a sampler from Mike at Mars Cigars. I believe (at work so can't say for sure) it is Wilson's Snuff and it comes with six small tins. Another one that I have that I seem to like is Gawith and Hoggarth Dry Orange Snuff Kendall.

Another newbie question. Does snuffing through a rolled up 100 dollar bill improve the rush?

jlong":z0vaymwl said:
Another newbie question. Does snuffing through a rolled up 100 dollar bill improve the rush?
No. Seems to me it would increase the chance you take it further than just the nostrils.

I guess I use the German method, sprinkle some just below the knuckle of my second phalange. I do this because about the time I started snuffing I had a flashback of my grandma (on my dad's side) using the pinch method. So I got to thinking that's how the women in my family snuff.

In addition, the Porschl snuff containers seemed to be made to sprinkle. Those that come in little round tins, I suppose, are intended to the pinch and snort method.

Concerning "The Rush".

Does anybody here get a nicotine "rush" from taking snuff ?? I never have. I've sat there reading a book and snuffed 10 times in two hours, also smoking a pipe, too, and never felt anything besides a pleasant sense of relaxation. I wonder if it's all psychological.

Eulenburg":1j3colh2 said:
Does anybody here get a nicotine "rush" from taking snuff ?? I never have. I've sat there reading a book and snuffed 10 times in two hours, also smoking a pipe, too, and never felt anything besides a pleasant sense of relaxation. I wonder if it's all psychological.
I've never gotten the unmistakable "too much nicotine" sensation from snuff, but I do get a distinct pick-me-up: I know whay Dr. Johnson called it food for the brain.

It's pretty sound science that nicotine can be absorbed by a mucous membrane (vide Nicorette gum), but just how much Vitamin N you get from snuff must depend on your snuff, your portion, your technique, and your tolerance. Some of the stimulant effect could be psychosomatic, but so could the relaxing effect. If you like how it makes you feel, however that is, I say take another pinch, my friend.

Eulenburg":0hgq5cn6 said:
One can also snuff from the depression on the handle of your gold-handled walking stick, but that's another story.
I like that, though silver would be on my meager budget :lol:

I dated a girl in England while there, who gave her aging Dad a walking stick that had a 2 gill (British unit of drink measurement for volume equal to a quarter of a pint) cylinder flask concealed inside it! I though that was one of the best gifts I'd ever seen!

Thanks for all the answers gents, and keep them coming. I just may pull the trigger one fine day.

Mostly I've found nicotine to be calming, though sometimes I find it somewhat stimulating. It has always helped me stay focused, but then I have ADHD, wanna ride a bike? :cheers:

I do get an almost instant nicotine kick buthave never gon green from snuff. I do not believe it to be phycological. Could be youre nicotine tolerance is greater than mine?

Have you ever smoked cigarettes or dipped (wet snuff)?

On nicotene. Maybe it depends on the snuff? Ozona President seems to have it.

I believe the nicotine factor varies from snuff to snuff, as it does with pipe tobacco and cigars. Toque makes a snuff called "Quit" that is appreciably higher than other snuffs in nicotine, it's supposed to help people off of cigarettes.

If I don't snuff for a long time, I get a head rush, but normally, no, I don't. But then again, I'm a low volume cigarette smoker while I work, so that could contribute.

Vis-à-vis nicotine: It turns out we're all correct. In low doses, N is stimulant; in higher doses, it's sedative.

When tobacco is ignited, most of the nicotine burns away before it can enter your system, so snuff, dip, chew, etc. deliver a much higher doses proportionally--it doesn't take much snuff to get the high-dose effect. If you're snuffing regularly, you get a relaxing/pain-killing effect; if you take a little only when you need a boost, you get stimulation.

Have you ever smoked cigarettes or dipped wet snuff ?
No, never. Nor have I ever inhaled pipes or cigars. I think I must have a high tolerance because coffee does nothing to me (it makes my sister's heart "race", whatever that may be) and I certainly have a good head for alcohol. Is that genetic?

A student of mine, some time ago, excused herself from class because she was suffering a "sugar rush". I may be a bit of an old percheron, but I don't remember, years ago, people, especially young people, experiencing "sugar rushes". It's all a bit strange to me. What exactly is a "sugar rush"?

If I had told one of the priests, when I was a schoolboy, any such cockeyed excuse I would have been thrashed within an inch of my life, I swear.