Compton's of Galashiels

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewMystic

Reaction score
Hey bro's
Since Im starting out in the English blend world, I'm asking for comments on Compton's blends. If I pick up a tin, I was wondering which one's are the most balanced? or what your experience with them has been.
Jay

NewMystic":d59vwzl5 said:
Hey bro's
Since Im starting out in the English blend world, I'm asking for comments on Compton's blends. If I pick up a tin, I was wondering which one's are the most balanced? or what your experience with them has been.
Jay
Several years ago, I went thru the various Compton's blend/mixtures and found two I really liked, York and Macedonian. The York was so similar to the Dunhill made 965 that I thought that they had found a stash of the older Dunhill produced blend and just repackaged it and sold it as their own blend. Of course not but that's how good it was. And the Macedonian was almost an exact copy of BS 759, one of my fave 'baccys. I've not bought any recently as the pricing of their 'baccy is a bit over what I can afford on a regular basis, but their 'blends/mixtures are some of the best made. Take your pick and give ;em a try  :twisted: :twisted: BTW, take your time and give ALL the Dunhill blends a good try before you go off ping-ponging with lot's of other blends. Build a solid "taste base" to work from. This is not the currently fashionable way to do it but believe me, your appreciation of blends and the various differnces will grow with a slow, measured manner of trying out blends. You've got the rest of your life to give 'em all a try  :twisted: :twisted:

Unless something has changed, they are bagged, not tinned. They mention being 4 weeks behind, and if a blend need a few more weeks. Then you will wait. I think it was about a 6 week wait last time I ordered. The blends are good. They have a funkiness that I find rare today. Only one other maker has it consistently and that is GL Pease.

I really enjoyed the 3 Feathers blend and the Commonwheel Mixture. Top notch tobaccos, just be patient as it takes about 2 months for the stuff to arrive. Well worth the wait in my opinion.

I have only had the Macedonian which was given to me by a friend. It was very good, but I kind of had to check myself when it came to actually purchasing some. Compton's price point more than pushes the limits of my comfort zone. There's good, and there's $9.35 an ounce good. Personally if I were to go all "boutique" on a latakia mixture, I'd prefer to spend my money on something from Hans Weidemann of HU, or maybe some Irishman's 5 o'clock from Steven Books.  Altogether, B&B's Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard, H&H Black House & GLP Samarra (albeit different) are just as good. And as usual, personal taste & opinions vary.  ;)

Ive seen this trend. Peterson's and Dunhill to name just two. They outsource their blends to this German Company. Kohlhouse seems to be where blends go to retire. The TR reviews on blends like Peterson's Univ Flake tell me that at some time in it's history it was a more powerful flake but when production was outsourced to KK it got weaker. I love the current iteration of U.F. and was wondering how good it be better? However it must have been truly sublime at one point and I missed it.
I am interest in Compton s because He does all his own work. From what His webpage says, pressing and blending everything. That's how all the old houses used to do it.
Just a thought.

Personally I think K&K does a great job with the blends that they produce and it's no easy task reproducing the old favorites. Two of my absolute must have's come from their blending house.

There's something to be said for supporting the little guy and Compton's does have their following. I do my best to support my local B&M's when I can and California has some jacked up tobacco prices.

Overall I still prefer to not to pay $9 dollars for something that I can get for $5. You can still support the smaller operations and not pay so much. For instance, L.J. Peretti is a small guy that makes great blends, and for $30 dollars you can get 8 ounces of one of their fine English blends. Definitely more bang for your buck there. At the same rate, if Compton's makes something that you find to be one of a kind and nothing else will do, then there you go..  :D 

I am pretty sure Compton Blends are priced as high as they are due to the fact that the shop is located in Canada, thus, subject to some of the Canadian taxes. Fortunately for Compton customers, and the owner of the shop himself, not all the taxes.

This thread prompted interest so I looked them up. One common complaint was that they charged for the blends when the order is placed. This becomes a problem when you won't ship for 4-8 weeks.

Yeah, I won't be ordering unless this practice has changed.