Concerned That My Pipes Are Lost In The Mail.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dougc905":18l5qjdu said:
Apparently I have to wait 12 weeks before smokingpipes can initiate a trace through USPS.

That's a long wait.
Holy, I really hope it doesn't come to that.

I live in North Carolina and a couple of months ago I sent a package to Canada. It too went to Miami before it went north. I would guess that your shipment has left the states and USPS has been lax in scanning it. Right now it is probably in customs and that would be your hold up. Give it another week.

Rusty Mouse":8j72fyfs said:
dougc905":8j72fyfs said:
Apparently I have to wait 12 weeks before smokingpipes can initiate a trace through USPS.

That's a long wait.
Holy, I really hope it doesn't come to that.
:scratch: Now how is it that I forgot to pay off the USPS guys this time?

But I remembered the border service boyz! :pirat:

These payoffs are gettin' pricier everytime - what am I gettin' anyway?

You two have PAD - bad. ;)

Came home to a delivery notice in the mailbox today. So my delivery took about a month. This is actually the longest delivery time in a long time for me. Usually it takes about 2 -3 weeks for a package to arrive USPS/Canada Post. It also has ~$20 due. That's almost 100% duty on the tobacco. Still cheaper than buying the tin in Canada (even if you could find it here.)

Prior to this I hadn't been tagged for duty in well over a year. I wonder if Customs is putting on a push to collect? The next order will tell.

I'd like to point out that I don't hold SmokingPipes.com in any way responsible for the delay or duty. They shipped it within hours of my placing the order. I'm extremely happy with their service, selection and prices.

Doug

dougc905":bea3bah6 said:
I'd like to point out that I don't hold SmokingPipes.com in any way responsible for the delay or duty. They shipped it within hours of my placing the order. I'm extremely happy with their service, selection and prices.

Doug
Absolutely, I find their service to be fantastic. I've had some very poorly packaged pipes (put in just their pipe bag and stuffed in an envelope) sent to me from other sources with little information and a one sided, distant picture, smokingpipes.com however makes a point to provide many detailed angels with most of their pipes, plenty of info and usually secure my pipes both in their pipe boxes avec foam peanuts and then those cute little plastic pillows inside the delivery box.

So just to beat this to death, I picked up the package today and read the notice from Customs. They only charged me Hst (federal tax) and a handling fee with no duty. My other observation that it was processed at a facility in California. I didn't realise that Canada Customs had centres outside of Canada. Must be some reciprocal deal.

dougc905":f5ga8imf said:
So just to beat this to death, I picked up the package today and read the notice from Customs. They only charged me Hst (federal tax) and a handling fee with no duty. My other observation that it was processed at a facility in California. I didn't realise that Canada Customs had centres outside of Canada. Must be some reciprocal deal.
Good to know, a bit comforting as neither parcel has arrived. One having left on the 6th and the other on the 10th, I believe. News to me about their facilities too.

dougc905":ux8i3hml said:
CBSA list no mail processing center in California. They have a directory online:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/listing/indexpages/index_full-e.html

If it originated at Smokingpipes in SC why would it go to California on the way to Toronto, which btw has a mail processing center?

There is in fact a 6.5% duty on Briar, olive, morta wood etc pipes. Meerschaum pipes have no duty.
Here's the tariff ref:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2012/01-99/ch96-2012-eng.pdf

Page 9 - tariff number 9614

But the CBSA apply it inconsistently, which is to say sporadically and without any kind of predictability.

I don't think that I've ever been charged duty on a pipe. Just tax. Whatever. Mail order for me. The market in Canada is so small now that unless you want to go to Blatter & Blatter to buy from them, any pipe that is available retail is crap sourced by a know-nothing corporate buyer and for which they want an arm and a leg. JMHO. Sad but true.

Our last pipemakers for the common man of note are Blatter & Blatter (Jr. & Sr.) I may move to Quebec.