Confused about Petersons (and other stuff)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakki

Reaction score
So here's the deal-

I'm shopping for my new pipe. I'm a bit enamored of the Peterson "system" pipes, both for looks and because of the whole reservoir, dry smoking thing.

After reading most of the threads in this forum I'm under the impression that Petersons (along with Stanwell and Savinelli and a couple of others) are a good value, but Peterson have some quality control issues. Since I'm buying off the Internet there's no chance to check out the pipe in person before plunking down my money, so I'm starting to think maybe I should go with a maker that doesn't let lemons off the shop floor - Savinelli was mentioned as one such.

On the other hand there's been a couple of posts to the effect that nobody has ever been unhappy with the Peterson 303. If that's true I'm thinking that's the pipe for me - except I don't really understand the nomenclature - the 302 looks the same as the 303, at least from a cursory inspection of tiny online photos. Plus, I don't understand why the 303 would be a better pipe than other system pipes. Is it an easier shape to make correctly or something?

On top of that, while the 303 is a very attractive shape the 999 is even prettier to me, but if the QC isn't so hot on them I'm probably not getting a non-system Peterson. Iwan Ries has a very similar Nording "bent rhodesian" in a smooth natural finish (which I like a lot) for $76. I understand Nording is a good maker - but, again, rumor of inadequate QC rears its ugly head.

So...

Do I buy my 303 new, get another Peterson system pipe new, wait for an estate pipe, buy the Nording or look for a bent rhodesian natural from another, more reliable brand?

And don't get me started on meers - the simple, smooth ones get more attractive every time I look at them.

EDIT: Edited for clarity.

1st.. No product is perfect.

Whether its Peterson or Porshe there's just no such thing as 100% qc.

2nd.. I haven't found Petersons to be full of qc problems..especially the system pipes. Its hard to mess up tenon mortise fit when the design calls for them not to fit. The system has a gap with an off center drilling and a 'trap'..

Nothing at all wrong with a 999..just don't turn it upside down while smoking it (I've found that when turned upside down while lit the new numbers cause fire to burst forth in your lap. :D. )

On Savanelli.. I am 110% with Marty Pulvers (although I didn't know it until it was pointed out to me here) $100 pipe 10 cent bit.. Their bits are crappy..hard and thick. Yuck!

My advise???? Buy what appeals to you without over analysing it. 9 times out of 10 our enamor of the shape will over come the minor flaws.. (I said minor guys, don't sell me down the river. )

My understanding is that the main difference between the 302 & 303 is essentially the size of the pipe. See this link for comparison pics:

http://thepipesmoker.wordpress.com/2009/08/03/peterson-302-303-size-matters/

As far as QC goes, I am under the impression that Stans, Savs, Petes and probably Nordings are all more or less the same in their medium-lower grade ranges. That is, you may fine one or two with some problems, but the odds are against it. That said, there are some differences between the brands other than just shape and finish. I personally find the stems and buttons on Stans to be much more comfortable than the Savs or Pete stems... I am sure there are others that would feel the opposite way though. Pete stems tend to come with more maintenance since they are the rubberish type vulcanite instead of the acrylic materials on the Savs, Stans and Nordings. The vulcanite will oxidize and turn green if you neglect it too much, but that can be fixed and prevented so it's not a huge deal.

Really I think you are probably safe going with any of the aforementioned brands.

IMHO the Peterson "Quality" issues were mainly over their practice of dip staining their pipes, which I don't think is near as bad an issue as it was in the early nineties. I have quite a few Peterson's and smoke them regularly. I am partial to the 303 shape and size personally.

I own several Pete's; pretty happy with most all of them. Those nasty, little fills that show up on some of their pipes pizz me off to no end!!!!! FTRPLT

I'm not a fan of the stem buttons? Button, mouth piece, whatever its called. They feel big and sluggish.
What do you all think?

All my Petes have been P-lips.. I don't think they do what they are advertised to do but they make 'hanging' (clinching without pressure) easy..

Jordies":fla5gn1y said:
I'm not a fan of the stem buttons? Button, mouth piece, whatever its called. They feel big and sluggish.
What do you all think?
P- lip is the word you looking for brother!!!

Funny I stopped by here..... just finished a bowl of am pipe in a Pete Aran bent Brandy...... although one of Pete's cheaper house pipes, most of them smoke lat blends like machines!

I love higher end Pete's and Savs and have many in my collection!

Dakki":bzmdxyf4 said:
So here's the deal-

On top of that, while the 303 is a very attractive shape the 999 is even prettier to me, but if the QC isn't so hot on them I'm probably not getting a non-system Peterson. Iwan Ries has a very similar Nording "bent rhodesian" in a smooth natural finish (which I like a lot) for $76. I understand Nording is a good maker - but, again, rumor of inadequate QC rears its ugly head.

EDIT: Edited for clarity.
I recently purchased my first Peterson pipe. A 80s (similar to a 999) P-Lip. While I have no comparisons to other Petersons, from the first smoke I knew I had a winner. It was not only affordable but it seems to smoke very well. Also, just love how the P-Lip can hang when I smoke it. I plan on getting a 999 next, also a P-lip. If you end up getting the 303, let us know what you think. I really dig that shape as well.

:cheers:
SWS

I only have one Peterson 210 that I picked up while at a conference. Forgot to bring something to smoke, so picked that up. Absolutely love it. From 'most' everything I've heard Petes are just simple good smokers. I like the 303. I'm not a fan of those huge gargantuan pipes, not that the 302 fits that description, but it is pretty big.

Just get one brand new. It's going to smoke well. This way you also don't have to wait for an estate that fits all the other requirements.

:farao:

I have a 303 and a couple 80s Petersons and like them just fine. My only complaint on them is that using a pipe cleaner on them mid smoke is kind of a chore due to their drilling and narrow draw. I still smoke them regularly though. The two I smoke the most have military mounts so if it becomes an issue I can remove the stem while they are still warm without worrying about loosening.

if buying new...just make sure they have a return or credit policy...if it shows up and you are not happy with the build of it then send it back and get another one....im sure the lemons are not abondent...so the next one should be good....but dont smoke it before inspection....just my .02

First off, let me say Hi to Mikem & rickf28. Haven't seen you two in a long while.

Now to the topic at hand. I have had many Peterson's over the years (I bet most of us started out with "Petes") and I can honestly say I loved them all (Especially my XL "House Pipe" :D ).

QC of the fit & finish can be a bugaboo with some people when it comes to Peterson Pipes. I however, never had one that smoked bad or gurgled. I can't say the same for some pipes that I have that go for $300 and up :roll: .........

BUY IT AND ENJOY IT!!!!!!

PS: My favorite Peterson was an Oom Paul / Emerald. Damn, I miss that pipe!

Picadilly,Kensington, Westminster, Chelsea Morning

All good starts IMO

PS has good introductory English blends in bulk. I think that some of these PS bulk blends are often overlooked.

Yo, Hug --

Just hold it stem-down and blot the moisture bead with a kleenex.

80Ss rule ! Had my first transcendental experience with one -- brand new -- in 1975. Looking at it on my desk as I type this.

:face: