CONGO WOOD PIPE

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Recently I purchase a pipe off a well known auction site, a WDC Congo wood pipe.
After receiving it I found there was a substantial crack in the front side of the bowl (facing the stem). I then checked the photos again on the auction and sure enough there was a fine crack in one of the photos barely visible but, they failed to mention it. I contacted the seller and explained that they most likely missed the crack as I did till I had it in my hands and could I return it for a refund. Without going into details they agreed and I returned the pipe. Now I have noticed that they have put the pipe back up for auction, that's not a problem but, they still failed to mention the crack. Below are 3 photo's I sent the seller with my request for a refund, one is from the auction that I circled the crack and the other two I took of the crack. What is your thought's on this?

Well... now you know what that seller is like. They'll sell whatever and hope that someone will be too lazy to return the poor quality item.

Sucks, and it would be enough that I'd never buy from them again, but that's their choice I suppose.

Sasquatch":iqg9a21x said:
Well... now you know what that seller is like.   They'll sell whatever and hope that someone will be too lazy to return the poor quality item.  

Sucks, and it would be enough that I'd never buy from them again, but that's their choice I suppose.
I agree Sas, although I haven't left them feedback yet, I'm pondering if I should.
I sell on eBay occasionally and I don't need any repercussions from it, if ya know what I mean. They'll be just another I won't buy from again and another to the ever growing "Blocked Buyer" list.

Nice they gave you the refund, but putting it up again without mentioning the crack?

Sounds like they went to the PT Barnum school of business.  :roll: 

MisterE":qwzspzfp said:
Nice they gave you the refund, but putting it up again without mentioning the crack?

Sounds like they went to the PT Barnum school of business.  :roll: 
Well, they told me there was no crack and that there wonderful MACRO photo's will prove it.
And that if I just wanted to return the pipe because I change my mind that I didn't have to make up a story. And they also wanted photos of the damage, so I sent them one of there photo's and two of mine. They were not very cordial to say the least, it was a "how dare you"
attitude from the first as if they were infallible to say the least.

I'll take the seller's side, just to be a prick. It looks like this guy is selling this more as an artifact than a smoking instrument and is not a pipe person, judging by his other offerings. Sure, he plays fast and loose with his representations, and covers his ass by posting decent photos. It's not like he tried to hide the crack, he just casually forgets to mention it even after having the pipe returned. Re-post the s.o.b. and hope the crack "goes away," he seems to think. Nothing wrong with that thinking--it works for many a politician, so why shouldn't a little seller on eBay use it?

For what it's worth, and I don't think it's much, I have a Savinelli Duca Carlo with a weird split on the bowl that is amazingly similar to this one. Runs across the grain, which doesn't make sense to this young lad. Has held up so far. Friggin' 616, too, one of my favorite bent shapes. Dang.

Richard Burley":18j0lxks said:
I'll take the seller's side, just to be a prick.
And this is to suggest your not usually?

UPDATE:

Still haven't received my refund on the specified date in which I was suppose to have.
This seller is trouble my friends.  :| 

Sasquatch":7vyu4x6f said:
Well... now you know what that seller is like.   They'll sell whatever and hope that someone will be too lazy to return the poor quality item.  

I am that lazy buyer. I recently bought a meer lined pipe off the auction site and when it arrived, it had a chunk out of the lip of the meer. I went back and checked the photos and sure enough you could just make this out BUT it had not been mentioned in the detail. Stupidly I felt it was my own mistake and didnt send it back - kicking myself now as it was a complete waste of money I dont have.

Personally I think that although the seller is not a pipe person, he now knows something that should be declared.

The crack is very obvious in your photos; if he now knows it's there and didn't disclose it he's dishonest to say the least.

Well, I did get my money back and gave a low star rating, blocked him from my auctions and made a mental note not to buy from him EVER again. I think posting the auction here will also help to make others aware of his blaten dishonesty. Nuff said. ;) 

ALL this just proves why it's called E-Prey !  :twisted: :twisted: 

I've never heard of a "Congo" tree! Where do they grow? Been working with wood product production for over 40 years and have never run across this variety  :twisted: :twisted: 

monbla256":673hu5ph said:
I've never heard of a "Congo" tree! Where do they grow? Been working with wood product production for over 40 years and have never run across this variety  :twisted: :twisted: 
Congo Wood = Coula edulis it's also use to make canes.

Congo Wood

Thanks, I'd heard of and seen African Walnut and Tigerwood and didn't know these were other names for this wood !!  :twisted: