Convinced the cigar guy to get some pipe stuff

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i.keenum

Reaction score
New tobacco store opened near my house lounge and all...... but he only carried cigars and cigar stuff. Stopped in and talked to him and happened to be carrying a tin on me, had a little conversation with him telling how little maintenance it would take just to toss them on the shelf and that they are better with age so if no one grabs them up right away they don't lose value. Well next week i walk in and guess what he has about 4 different C & D tins a few dunhill and a few stanwell. Picked up a can of Kajun Kake. Next week i walk in and he ask me about the maintenance and how to handle a little of bulk? Well the short off it is got a little bit of selection near by and how do you get and maintain bulk at a business level?

Thats great you got a cigar store to have pipe tobacco. I often wonder why these tobacco stores don't have on hand all the different tobacco I mean if I had a shop I would carry cigar, pipe, chew as well as snuff I would also have a little info on the tobacco I sold just in case someone would ask a question about it. I guess I might be old school. As for as keeping it fresh in bulk he could keep it in the five pound bags it comes in and not open it until he needs to, then put it in a plastic container with a sealed top that should help out.
Best Regards
Richard

there is a admiral tobacco store where i go to college, i was a frequent visitor for cigarettes and pipe stuff. on day she asked me what i wanted, i didnt really know what to say, so i said, prince albert(im a fan) and a now they have nasal snuff(also a fan) some tins, good pipe cleaners, pipe sweetener, a whole bunch of pipe stuff. made me pretty happy.

I think it's a score (and shows good sense in the business owner) you convinced him at all--cigars are still en-vogue compared to pipes, but it couldn't hurt to have some requests and see where they go from there. Hopefully he gets more customers due to this!

Richard Hester":2f42vwjy said:
I often wonder why these tobacco stores don't have on hand all the different tobacco I mean if I had a shop I would carry cigar, pipe, chew as well as snuff
I suspect that this is due to not wanting to hold stock that may not sell, and if the guy running the shop knows nothing about pipe tobacco he may feel that he cannot give the best customer service if people ask for recommendations, advice etc.

Good to hear that this guy is willing to dip his toe in the water.

Richard Hester":25208oz0 said:
As for as keeping it fresh in bulk he could keep it in the five pound bags it comes in and not open it until he needs to, then put it in a plastic container with a sealed top that should help out...
I think this is a great starting place. Personally, I'd recommend glass containers as they are less porous, but plastic would do the job. It's also important to put some type of hydration device in the jar with the baccy to keep it from drying out. I used to work at a tobacco shop before I moved and we always used to put those little hydration pouches from cigar boxes in with the tobacco. While this works, I don't think it's the best option as cigars need to receive between 65% and 72% humidity while pipe tobacco needs to receive significantly less. I'd go with hydration disks and distilled water for best results.

No better situation to learn as a shopkeeper with knowledgeable customers--business is mostly risk after all, and all they have to do is ask! I imagine if I were to open a pipe shop right now I'd be counting on you guys and any locals on what, how, and methods of carry with both pipes and tobacco!