Cooking with beer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I've tried is the standard beer batter for fish (if that counts). Works great with smelt and bullhead.

Beer batter for fish and shrimp; light ales or pilsner
Beer added to water for boiling shrimp and crab; light ales or pilsner
Beer added to beef and wild game stews/soups; Guiness, stouts, porters
Beer added to water in smoker set up; light ales or pilsner
Beer replacing water for making Bisquick biscuits; light ales or porters(Sprite or 7up too)

Jim

Mmm, beef-and-Guinness stew (or beef-and-Guinness pie, which is portable stew.)

I also like a bottle of decent ale or stout added to the slow cooker when I cook a corned beef brisket. Nice flavor, and more fat seems to render off than water alone.

Baste a leg of lamb with stout. If that doesn't work, fill your stomach with stout first and let the lamb marinate after the fact.

I put some of my homebrew in lots of different recipes; I recently made a beef stew with IPA. One of my favorites is homemade mac and cheese with sausage and IPA in the cheese sauce. Roasted chicken with IPA in the bottom of the pan for basting; obviously, I am a big fan of IPAs :D I also heartily second lamb stew with stout.

Honestly, just about anything that requires water or broth can have a little beer substituted or added.

Lupulus":zzmif5fx said:
Honestly, just about anything that requires water or broth can have a little beer substituted or added.
And the human body is 2/3 water... therefore... :drunken:

I made chicken piccata last night, but instead of white wine in the sauce I used 1/2 cup of my homebrewed IPA. I splashed in another 1/4 cup or so later while waiting for the pasta to finish cooking. It turned out really well, the bitterness came through strong and the hop flavor was a nice counterpoint to the tangy lemon juice in the sauce and the salt in the breading. Almost too bitter in a few bites (though that might have been when I bit into some of the zest), maybe just a pale ale next time rather than an IPA.

One of my favorite beer recipes is lentils and bratwurst. They are cooked together with beer and chicken stock and finished off with a little yogurt at the end. Served up with some crusty sourdough and I'm in heaven.

Late reply, but anyway. Beer cheese soup. The one good thing I gained from dating a gil from WI

Beer in Chili ! Use your normal recipe, but add 12 oz of beer for every 2 lbs of chili meat. Add at the start. I use stew meat for my chili, no beans, and simmer for 5 hours or so. The beer adds a great subtle flavor. I have tried doing ot with Guiness, Sam Adams, and a few others; the stout-type beers add a nutty flavor, the lagers more subtle.