Corn Cob side burn out?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianr

Reaction score
I am new to Corn Cobs, which are not as common in the UK the US so this question may seem dumb.

I've smoked my Cob ( a Legend) about 10 times and now one side is showing signs of burning through. No big deal, they are not expensive, but I assume this isn't normal. There is a reasonable 'cake'.

The burn through is about 2/3 off the way up the chamber.

Is this bad technique on my part or a bad cob?

Sounds like a flaw in the Cob itself. There is no reason, regardless of technique, for the side of a cob to burn through and it be the smoker's fault.

They are inexpensive but usually hold up quite well. I've had some that were daily smokers that lasted 4-5 years and never had a burnthrough.

Side burnouts are extremely rare, as are burn outs period. Being a new smoker, your technique probably isn't perfect, but not bad enough to cause a burnout. If it does indeed burn out a;; the way, hang onto it and collect any other burnouts in the future, as Missouri Meerschaum will replace any defective pipe, Of course sending one cob back the the US from the UK doesn't make sense, which is why I suggest saving them up over time. Now, if ypour next Legend also burns out, I would advise you to visit their web site and leave them a message.

oh - you crazy corncob guys!!

:bom: :drunken: :p :bom: :drunken: :p 

Mr. Doody":k5zu49ji said:

You are crazy if you've not tried a corn cob. I was amazed how much I enjoyed smoking one.

They are not as widely available here as I believe they are in the US and only a few models seem to make it here.

Brian.

brianr":gpv596a8 said:
Mr. Doody":gpv596a8 said:

You are crazy if you've not tried a corn cob. I was amazed how much I enjoyed smoking one.

They are not as widely available here as I believe they are in the US and only a few models seem to make it here.

Brian.
I second that recommendation on cobs...nothing like them.

If you smoke a pipe...you must smoke a cob and appreciate what it can do for you.

There is no reason for a cob to burn out the side. I have cobs that were passed on to me that have been in regular use since the mid 50's. They get smoked at least weekly usually more, sometimes 3-4 times in a day. Anyone that tells you cobs are disposable or won't last doesn't know what they're talking about. Save it, send it back they'll make it right for sure!

Jim

i have owned a number of cobs - and have enjoyed them.

i as just givin' y'all grief :)

doody.

huffelpuff":ae56vtni said:
There is no reason for a cob to burn out the side. I have cobs that were passed on to me that have been in regular use since the mid 50's. They get smoked at least weekly usually more, sometimes 3-4 times in a day. Anyone that tells you cobs are disposable or won't last doesn't know what they're talking about. Save it, send it back they'll make it right for sure!

Jim
Being in the UK it isn't worth my shipping it to the US so, this afternoon, I smoked a Cigar and made some 'mud'. I've filled the 'weak spot' and the chamber is (hopefully) restored to normal thickness.

I've not used 'mud' before so, if nothing else, this will be a 'learning opportunity'.

The repair is being left to 'cure' (I believe at least 24 hours is required) and then I will see how successful it is.

I noticed that I can see the shape of the corn on the inside of the pipe in another area, is this normal?

Brian

I have a couple of pride cobs, and I can see the outline of the corn through the whole bowl. I would not be concerned by that.

Yup absolutely normal. It's the cob equivalent of grain. Go slow and the mud repair should be just fine. Let us know if you have any more problems.

Jim

brianr":xjzf7hwu said:
huffelpuff":xjzf7hwu said:

Jim
Being in the UK it isn't worth my shipping it to the US so, this afternoon, I smoked a Cigar and made some 'mud'. I've filled the 'weak spot' and the chamber is (hopefully) restored to normal thickness.

I've not used 'mud' before so, if nothing else, this will be a 'learning opportunity'.

The repair is being left to 'cure' (I believe at least 24 hours is required) and then I will see how successful it is.

I noticed that I can see the shape of the corn on the inside of the pipe in another area, is this normal?

Brian
It'll be better if you can let the pipe mud cure for three days Brian. Hopefully it was thick and gluey.

[/quote]It'll be better if you can let the pipe mud cure for three days Brian. Hopefully it was thick and gluey.[/quote]
It was like what American's call 'Spackle' I believe, we would say filler or Polly-filler.

I can leave it for three days, thank you for the advice.

Brian.

It'll be better if you can let the pipe mud cure for three days Brian. Hopefully it was thick and gluey.[/quote]It was like what American's call 'Spackle' I believe, we would say filler or Polly-filler.

I can leave it for three days, thank you for the advice.

Brian.

[/quote]
Well, after 3 days almost to the hour, I smoked it and......

the repair failed.

Clearly I got the 'mix' wrong, 'too wet' I suspect as it seems to have disintegrated and mixed with the ash. Not sure if I will try again- I'm not that keen on cigars! or just smoke it until it fails and buy another. As I'm in the UK it isn't worth shipping back to  MM.

I've now found a localish shop where I can buy them over the counter cheaper than Ebay (Ebay is about £6.50 + p&p, so about £10 or $16 for a legend against £5.50 in the shop, nearer $8 ). Traditional tobacconists, which sell pipes and more than a few tobaccos, are as rare as hen's teeth over here (the UK).