Cornel & Diehl Manhattan Afternoon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HistoryMajor

Reaction score
I'm not much of a reviewer, being a total newbie to this. But, also being a total noob, I knows what I likes! And I like this blend. The tin says "Naturally sweet Golden Virginia leaf with a drop of honey sliced into flakes." And that's pretty much what ya get. I also didn't see a review on here of this, so I figured I'd give one a shot!

Great tin aroma, quite moist flakes that rub out easily. I dried it for a bit first, and then stuffed it into a Robert Blatter slight bent pipe...my very first pipe, and I went outside to enjoy it. It's just above 0 Celsius here, with just a slight breeze. Gorgeous night to be out enjoying a pipe.

Major impressions are that of a tasty virginia tobacco...that seems to dominate the blend. However, there is a slight touch of sweetness...my guess is from the honey. That sensation is very strong and pleasant on the exhale through the nose. About halfway through, there is a slight grassiness. It reminds me of a mild cigar in sensation, but not in taste...if that makes any sense! :lol:

I had to relight once or twice, because I got distracted, but the flavor stayed great the whole way through. A nice, mild smoke for the end of the day, and I suspect just enough nicotine to relax me. I don't get hit by it ever really, but this blend had just enough for me to notice its presence. But still, on the mild side of medium strength I think.

I only suffered a little bit of bite...I have a weak tongue for that. Plus I'm a lazy packer. :p On the subject of packing, I found I filled the bowl a little too loosely, but tamping during smoking tightened up the draw just a bit, and produced a fair bit more smoke and flavor.

Towards the bottom, the sweetness picked up in my opinion...a great way to finish off a great smoke. I'd highly recommend it, and I've heard great things about the rest of the Simply Elegant series, so I definitely want to give them a try.

My recommendation, if you're looking for a mild, sweet and relaxing smoke, give this one a try! Hope y'all enjoyed this newbie's review!

Nice review HistoryMajor ! As I recall... you are spot on in my own experience of Mahattan Afternoon. One thing I did to try and cope with the moisture level, besides letting it dry out a bit, was to take the broken flakes and cut them into small "cubes". This is the so called "Stein" method shared by LL a few years back. Just drop the cut cubes in the bowl and light up.

Great review,,,I've got tins of all the elegant series on the back burner,,,wanted to give them some aging,,,but now I'll have to crack open the manhattan and give it a try,,,sounds good,,,thanks

I have always wondered about this blend in the Elegant series. I will have to put it on the "list".

Thank you for the review!!

Nice review... I've been really enjoying the few that I've tried in this series.

I have a tin of this sitting in the cupboard. Guess it's time to haul it out. I was also a bit concerned about the honey. Seems like it's not an issue. Thanks for a good review.

Yeah, I'd say the honey isn't much of an issue. To my taste, it was just a delicate sweetness, but you more experienced folks might taste differently.

J_Rock":qw0vsw63 said:
I have always wondered about this blend in the Elegant series. I will have to put it on the "list".

Thank you for the review!!

Some good stuff in that Elegant series. Sunday Picnic, Opening night and I was really pleasantly surpirsed that Elegant Emu.

A quality reivew HistoryMajor.

As far as honey goes, I'm not an aromatic fan, but Como has a honey topped blend that is very nice. It can get very hot if you push it, but sipped its a fine break from the Latakia bombs I usually stick to. I get more of the floral charactoristic of the honey from that blend than the sweetness, and it doesn't "glob up" a pipe like Capt Black.

HistoryMajor":6bf5ta5v said:
Yeah, I'd say the honey isn't much of an issue. To my taste, it was just a delicate sweetness, but you more experienced folks might taste differently.
I just got a tin of this, and this weekend I popped the top and gave it a try. I too was wary of the honey description, but after a bowlful found it was just slightly sweet, just enough honey to augment the naturally sweet Va baccy without overpowering it. I found it very similar to Sam Gawith's Medium Va flake. I highly recommend this if you like a mild sweet smoke.
I would give it a 9 out of ten (and I never give tens). :D