Cornell and Diehl Crooner

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bent bulldog

Reaction score
I tried a pipeful of this the other day so I can tell my customers what it is all about. If you look at my previous comments in this section you know I am a fairly faithful devotee of Virginia Flakes, specifically Capstan blue so I may not be the best judge of Crooner which apparently is similar to what Bing Crosby used to smoke. For a Burley based blend I found it more interesting than most and the Deer Tongue which announces its presence right away upon lighting dominates the blend. Not my cup of tea but certainly worth a try if you want to experience a typical blend that was popular back in the day when most American pipe smokers gravitated towards various Kentucky Burley type mixtures.

Brewdude: Thanks for the deer tounge warning. Yea, I remember in my old days working at the TinderBox in Portland we had a blend called Special and if you smoke it regularly your whole wardrobe smelled of Deer Tongue. Anyway i have got an old Comoy sandblast canadian that I test tobaccos in.

Special had deer tongue? That explains a lot of my impressions with that blend.

I never thought it bad, but then I never finished a whole bowl either.

I smoked a bowl a couple days ago from a bag someone gave me. Not too sure about it....

I find the deer tongue in Crooner to be overpowering. You can smell it through the tin, from across the room.

That's the thing, I don't smell it. I tried some a year or so ago and same thing, couldn't tell there was anything in there, but there was an added burning paper-like taste going on with the burley. Maybe I've been smoking too much lately  :clown: