Cornell& Diehl Briar Fox

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootist51

Reaction score
Back in 2004, as I was browsing through the stock of tinned tobaccos at a local B&M, I spotted one tin of this blend.
The tin description says,"BRAR FOX (Crumble Cake) An exceptionally smooth blend of Virginias, the personal blend of Peter Heeschen, the well-known Danish pipe maker".
I purchased the tin, which is unusual for me, as I generally like to buy in threes, one to smoke and two to cellar.
When I got home, I put the tin in the cellar, as I really didn't have time for a smoke at that point, and promptly forgot it.
This morning I finished up the Orlick's Golden Slices that I had been carrying in my pouch and decided to check the cellar for something a little different. Behold, stashed behind a couple of jars of FVF sat the tin of Briar Fox, slightly plumped.
Upon opening, the smell was delicious. Fresh mown hay. The tobacco is pressed into two cakes, which with a little work, probably could have been crumbled, but I chose instead to cut it into cubes, which worked quite well. The cakes were covered with little crystals of sugar and after processing the blend absolutely screamed to be smoked.
I pulled down my oldest Charatan 284, which had been recently cleaned and gravity fed the little cubes into the bowl. Upon lighting the tobacco took off like a range fire, didn't reqire a second lighting until the half way mark. After tamping the ash lightly, I re-lit and was able to smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl.
The flavor was typical of a high quality Virginia, but much sweeter than usual. It has the undertones of fresh cut hay and was truly a joy to smoke.
This was one of those smokes where you find a cofortable place to perch, light up and ponder the world and it's foibles. I swear, if we could get them fools in Washington to spend a bit of time like this...what a world it would be.
If this had been any better, I'd a had to pour it on the ground and roll in it.
I highly recommend this blend and I highly recommend cellaring it. I don't know who Peter Heeschen is, but bygod he's alright by me.

Oh, yeah, Briar Fox! A generous brother... PD, I want to say, sent me a sample. As my mail was being forwarded, the Crumble Cake was slightly more ready-rubbed, but I like how it turned out. Tasty blend.

Yes, Peter is a personal friend, and his Briar Fox blend is as wonderful as he is. A true gentleman in every sense of the word. A kinder and more gentle soul you'll never meet. Peter makes the finest Danish pipe on the market also IMHO.
Thanks for your review, and now there will probably be a run on this super tobacco. And for good reason. :cheers:

I made a trade awhile back for 4 tins of 03 and just opened one on Friday for the holiday and I was suprised how good it was its so smooth. This was from the C&D tins with the gold colored tin. I will be adding a few more to the cellar.

Yup, fantastic stuff. I have a stash I don't want to touch for at least a couple years, if I can hold out that long!