Cornell & Diehl Night Train

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zeno,

You know, I am wondering if perhaps there are subtle differences with the overall available allotment of perique. As I am noticing very slight changes in a few blends that I smoke, and they all contain perique. Lord knows the demand for it is awfully high lately. It might be a good question for Mark Ryan. I am sure that batches of perique vary from year to year and while Mark Ryan strives for consistency, the results of the fermentation process might be something that's very hard to control. And while it's completely up to the blender to get their products right by choosing the right leaf, they always have to settle for subtle variances in the leaf they buy. That said I guess it could be the Virginia or in the case of Night Train the burley leaf that C&D procures as well, but I would think due to the limited processing, the flue and air cured stuff would be easier to keep consistent from year to year.

I have been smoking a bit of Night Train lately, and to me the current stuff tastes bright and fresh. To my taste, C&D uses a lot of young tasting leaf, stuff that's nowhere near as matured as that of many other blenders, but the firm, bold taste of this fresh leaf is kind of their signature. Personally, I like to lay all my C&D tins down for a spell, especially the Pease weed. Anyway, the Night Train I am smoking is quite hearty and tastes good, but it's sprite. I do notice a bit of tang to it, again the perique maybe?. Different from the old stock? I am not knowledgeable enough with the old Night Train to say, and by no means am I a Night Train aficionado but I do really like what I am smoking currently.

Maybe Rande, aka Brewdude will chime in. I know he has experience with it and smokes a good amount of it as a night cap.

DrumsAndBeer":es6u9z6l said:
Zeno,

You know, I am wondering if perhaps there are subtle differences with the overall available allotment of perique. As I am noticing very slight changes in a few blends that I smoke, and they all contain perique. Lord knows the demand for it is awfully high lately. It might be a good question for Mark Ryan. I am sure that batches of perique vary from year to year and while Mark Ryan strives for consistency, the results of the fermentation process might be something that's very hard to control. And while it's completely up to the blender to get their products right by choosing the right leaf, they always have to settle for subtle variances in the leaf they buy. That said I guess it could be the Virginia or in the case of Night Train the burley leaf that C&D procures as well, but I would think due to the limited processing, the flue and air cured stuff would be easier to keep consistent from year to year.

I have been smoking a bit of Night Train lately, and to me the current stuff tastes bright and fresh. To my taste, C&D uses a lot of young tasting leaf, stuff that's nowhere near as matured as that of many other blenders, but the firm, bold taste of this fresh leaf is kind of their signature. Personally, I like to lay all my C&D tins down for a spell, especially the Pease weed. Anyway, the Night Train I am smoking is quite hearty and tastes good, but it's sprite. I do notice a bit of tang to it, again the perique maybe?. Different from the old stock? I am not knowledgeable enough with the old Night Train to say, and by no means am I a Night Train aficionado but I do really like what I am smoking currently.

Maybe Rande, aka Brewdude will chime in. I know he has experience with it and smokes a good amount of it as a night cap.

You rang? :D

Indeed, I do enjoy NT regularly. And my stock is all aged (>5 yrs) so I don't have any experience with the newer stuff. Perhaps some age will cure some of these issues I've been reading on this thread.

Cheers,

RR