Corona Old Boy Replica

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawker

Reaction score
Came across these Corona Old Boy Replica's that are made in China instead of Japan and thought they might be a good deal.
Any Brothers or Sisters out there that have any experience's with the replica model. Are they as reliable & functional as the original ?
Or should i keep saving for the original.

Hawker":l3ezqksb said:
Came across these Corona Old Boy Replica's that are made in China instead of Japan and thought they might be a good deal.
Any Brothers or Sisters out there that have any experience's with the replica model. Are they as reliable & functional as the original ?
Or should i keep saving for the original.

Be patient, save your pennies and get the ORIGINAL, a Dunhill Unique . It's more money but is SUPERIOR in so many ways to the copies ! :twisted: 

I don't have that one...I do have a Vertigo that I found on ebay...I've never had any issues with it, but I've only had it a couple months.

It is said that a workmen is known by his tools. But there is tool quality and then flash. It is nice to own high quality. At what point does that become excessive?

The answer to that question is an individual one. I have a Rolex watch that I haven't worn in years because an off the shelf Citizen Eco keeps better time.

Cartopolous (sp?) found his clone awkward to use and thinks it made for a lefty.

I have a half dozen lighter. They all properly light the pipe. Going beyond that is a matter of esthetics. You might throw in a bit of ego -- a big part of the reason I wore a Rolex.

JKenP":oq38qyg9 said:
 You might throw in a bit of ego -- a big part of the reason I wore a Rolex.
...and why (mostly in my youth) I prefered a calculator watch... :lol:

I have a Fauxpont (that's "fake DuPont") lighter from EverTech. It's cheesy, doesn't require special butane canisters, and works a charm. The only problem, that it incidentally shares with the real thing: butane capacity is awful. Good for a day or two at best. Must be the design.

Made in China is a risky brand name.

...but, craftsmen are sometimes known for their output and product, tools be damned.

8)

JKenP":2fp3yldm said:
It is said that a workmen is known by his tools. But there is tool quality and then flash.  It is nice to own high quality.  At what point does that become excessive?

The answer to that question is an individual one.  I have a Rolex watch that I haven't worn in years because an off the shelf Citizen Eco keeps better time.  

Cartopolous (sp?) found his clone awkward to use and thinks it made for a lefty.  

I have a half dozen lighter.  They all properly light the pipe.  Going beyond that is a matter of esthetics.  You might throw in a bit of ego -- a big part of the reason I wore a Rolex.
Ownong and using a Dunhill lighter is NOT an excessive thing to me. They made the original and I own two Dunhill lighters, one I've had since the late 70's (a Rollalite fuel pipe lighter in Sterling, as is my recently acquired Unique) and BOTH operate flawlessly. As far as Rolex's go, ANY quart powered watch will keep BETTER time than a mechanical watch, but the Rolex would be a SUPERB example of the mechanical watches design. (I own and still wear three Rolexes I've had for decades and the most ACCURATE watch I own is my Citizen Chronomaster, the worlds most accurate watch and it is an analog quartz.) Kinda like Genuine Naugahyde vs Genuine Leather, they can LOOK the same but they are different :twisted: 

Ownong and using a Dunhill lighter is NOT an excessive thing to me.

As I said, "The answer to that is an individual one." and that is why it is hard to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't do.

Instead, it seems better to state why you prefer a product over another brand, style, price-point.

Damn,  Monbla, that Dunhill Unique is a pricy little bugger. I thought my Dunhill gold roll-a-light was top notch til I saw the Unique.  WOW. 

Not sure I could justify spending that much money on a lighter these days.

But, sure can dream about it.

JKenP":66dr1wfr said:
It is said that a workmen is known by his tools. But there is tool quality and then flash.  It is nice to own high quality.  At what point does that become excessive?

The answer to that question is an individual one.  I have a Rolex watch that I haven't worn in years because an off the shelf Citizen Eco keeps better time.  

I have a half dozen lighter.  They all properly light the pipe.  Going beyond that is a matter of esthetics.  You might throw in a bit of ego -- a big part of the reason I wore a Rolex.
I agree, I just can't justify having a $300+ lighter to light my $50 - $200 pipes. There nice looking but, just not me. Kinda like, I wear jeans and drive a beat up pickup while many others prefer slacks and ties and a brand new shiny SUV. Our priorities are just different.

Cartopolous? what the hell?

Hawker, I'de say that if you're curious about the Jifeng than it's probably worth a $20 flutter to check it out.  That's pretty cheap entertainment any way you slice it IMHO!  :lol: 

Wd6sU8q.jpg

I did find this from another forum (Googled jifeng pipe lighter) -

http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/best-pipe-lighters.28856/page-2#post-586540

The fella does a side by side comparison with the Old Boy and seems like he's happy enough with it.

Also found this - a blog site methinks.  I've no idea how reputable any of this is, but this fella seems to think well enough of 'em.  Take it for what it's worth, but at the very least it's free info...

http://pipelighters.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/jifeng-pipe-lighter-old-boy-copy-2/

Personally I'm completely satisfied with my zippo - so much so that I've stopped window shopping alltogether!  :roll: :p 

RYfEvJw.jpg

One more thing, again on a strictly personal note, I know myself well enough to be entirely sure that I should never be trusted with a $300 lighter!   :p :evil: 

Best of luck Hawker.  ;)

Thanks for all the input and advise guys. I didn't realize these were available delivered for under $20. For that price what the hell, gotta try one. Have a line on a Corona Old Boy at a antique store i was in a while back. The guy nows he has one just can't find it. After searching thru 3 boxes & probably 100 lighters he thinks it's at home in a storage container. I just ordered one of the replica's off Ebay and if i still have it after 5 years i'll bump this thread & let you know what i think of it.
Thanks again for the info & the lead to one for half what i was thinking of paying.

My Jifeng pewter 'Old Boy' arrived today. First impressions are very good - it's weighty and solidly made. Works well and fills easily.

Ultimately time will tell but for $20 this seems to be a fairly good buy.

Now I wonder if the Chinese have managed to manufacture a Laguiole pipe knife..........:twisted: 

Fraternally

Jers

Jers":2n7u7ftj said:

Now I wonder if the Chinese have managed to manufacture a Laguiole pipe knife..........:twisted: 

Fraternally

Jers
NOW were talking!

Jers":e5nrkn47 said:

Fraternally

Jers
They probably have but it WOULD NOT be a Laguiole pipe knife !!! Kinda like "Virgin Leather vs Virgin Naugahyde" :twisted: :twisted: