CORPS Sophisticate by McClelland

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootist51

Reaction score
With the shortages of FVF, my everyday smoke, I have been forced to search for suitable alternatives.

Though I have found many excellent Virginias and Virginia blends in my search, I have been particularly impressed with the Conclave Of Richmond Pipe Smokers "Sophisticate" blended by McClellands.
The tib describes this as a "Rich, Mellow Slow-Stoved Virginia".

When you pop the tin, you may note the signature "ketchupy" smell found in McClelland virginias, it is, however more subdued in this pffering than in most of the others I have tried.

My tin was produced January of 2010, if the bottom stamp is correct, I purchased it in November of 2011, and popped the tin March 1 of 2012, so it has about 2 years of ageing in the tin.

When you view the tobacco, it is a ribbon cut of black stoved virginia and what tobaccoreviews.com calls "High sugar Bright". Escentially anything that's not black in a shade of brown. The tobacco in this tin is drier than what I have come to expect, but it still clumps when pinched.

I found that this tobacco seemed to load best by filling the bowl loosely and really cramming in the tobacco at the top of the bowl, similar to the Frank Method. The draw using this process was similar to what I get when gravity feeding square cut, which suprised me.

It takes a charing light and a relight to get going, but once lit, stayed lit to about 1/2 way through the bowl.

I found that the smoke was consistently cool and about as sweet as I have experienced in a Virginia. Not cloyingly sweet, just very mellow and smoothe flavored. I tend to sip my pipes and experienced no bite at all through the entire tin, however, I suspect that a fast puffer could hurt himself with this, as with any virginia.

I don't think this blend has the complexity that can be found in some fine virginias, but for a quiet enjoyable smoke, I would recommend it. It's one of the tobaccos that while being smoked and afterward gives a feeling of well being.

If there is any negative to this blend, for me, it is that no matter which pipe I smoked it in I always ended up with about the last 1/5 of the bowl being dottle and the second half of the bowl tends to require a re-light or 2.

there POUNDS of fvf on the trading post for a good price if you didn't see them yet, not to make a point moot if you don't want me to.