Costners Pipe in Hatfield & McCoys?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on the opposite side. :oops: My Family go back to Samuel Smith & Lucinda McCoy. I was born in Louisville Ky and my family is dotted all over Kentucky (up and down the Ohio River on both sides), Indiana, Ohio, Virgina and West Virginia

My question is: do you actually see him SMOKING it in the series or is it used as a prop? I understand that Costner is anti-smoking which makes me wonder :p

monbla256":r5egxtne said:
My question is: do you actually see him SMOKING it in the series or is it used as a prop? I understand that Costner is anti-smoking which makes me wonder :p
Are you questioning Mr. Costner's commitment to his craft?! How dare you!!!!

......totally kidding BTW :)

Were I in charge of props for the movie, I'd have given him some kind of crude red clay pipe fitted with a reed stem.
I am no historian, so I really don't know what would be the "correct" pipe to use as a prop. But I don't like that one.

It just don't sit right with me.

monbla256":pwym3upy said:
He was smokin' more often than not.
He seemed very comfortable with it.
Looked like he'd done it before.

monbla256":ryjyfny3 said:
No, he smoked it throughout the movie.

A Kevin Costner quote from the July 2012 issue of Cowboys and Indians magazine:

C & I: So how does a 21st-century guy immerse himself in a 19th century character like Devil?
Costner: I start working with black powder. I start working with how to load those guns. I start looking at costumes; I start looking at beards. And I start looking at cadence, how people talked back then. I read letters written by people back then. [Laughs] In this case, I needed to find the right beard and the right hat. And the right pipe. I had to make the decision between this little corncob pipe and this little almond one - and I took the almond one.

This doesn't answer the question of what type of pipe it is, but does indicate it was a conscious decision on Costner's and his producer's part.

Bub":6ym9ygul said:
That's great!
FH02039MainF.jpg

Precious little about that whole series is right.

I wander away from the computer out to the livingroom now & then & notice it on the television set. (Mrs. Yak likes her TV movies at night).

First off, the landscape's way wrong -- they filmed the freaking thing in Romania (!).

The houses are way wrong. The fences are wrong. I'm surprised they got the corn in the fields right.

It's as big a let-down as the Deer Hunter was. When they go hunting, you're expecting Western Penna. mountains -- and they're in freaking Colorado. !

:evil: :evil: :evil:

:face:

Just to add about Costner: I tried to find a picture or this but couldn't. In JFK he portrayed Jim Garrison who was an avid pipe smoker and Costner avidly smoked a pipe during the movie. Seems to me he kinda likes the pipe.