Cracks

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbernater

Reaction score
Anyone here ever had a pipe to just start a crack for no apparent reason. I have a old English pipe, basicly a no name but a very nice pipe, good smoker. While loading her up after putting my grandaughtrs bike together. I noticed a crack in the shank. I t hasnt been dropped, its not in the bowl from heat, just odd to me.
IMG082.jpg

The only time I've seen this happen was caused by tapping the pipe against one of those cork plugs many use in ashtrays.

Many times, particularly with "no name" pipes, there are sand pits or faults in the briar that create weak pionts in the pipe. Any force it is exposed to can bring these to light in a similar fashion, particularly over the course of years of use.

A good repairman can salvage the pipe by installing a band.

Funny thing is I dont bang my pipes. I dont have a cork thingy. The pipe is kinda big even in the shank, and its on the side, not top or bottom. I got one of those jewlery eye pieces and it looks like it just open up. like some thing cracks from dry wrought. Like I said it seems odd . Its been one of my favorate pipes.

plumbernater":cbmonduu said:
Its been one of my favorate pipes.
That's too bad. :( I hope you get it resolved. A band might be just the trick.

I have a cork ashtray, too, but it's used more for preventing the pipe, lighter and tamper from all colliding into one another. :lol: I'm not a "pipe banger" either.

No expert here but, does anyone think that the crack may be from moisture in the shank
and after time the shrinkage and expansion from heat and cooling weakened it and it cracked?

You might have a point there. I noticed checking it out more that it is right at the bottom of where the stem mortise stops and the wood gets solid on down to the bowl.

I am in agreement it has to do with swelling around the stem insert. I understand pulling the stem and re-inserting it while the pipe is hot will cause this but you're probably aware of that.

It's obviously a matter of stress, whatever the cause. This surprises me on a pipe with a square shank. Have you ever tried to snap a square shank? It ain't easy at all, compared to a round. (Don't ask.) :twisted:

Richard Burley":zdb3ovfy said:
Have you ever tried to snap a square shank? It ain't easy at all, compared to a round. (Don't ask.) :twisted:
...did some pipe say something unflattering about your maternal family? :lol:

I think the moisture theory is a good one... especially where the cracks are forming. It's possible there is a slight gap between the tip of the tenon and the inside of the mortise, and if moisture is collecting there frequently (you did say it was your favorite pipe...) it may be the wood soaking and expanding.

Also, if there is a flaw in that area underneath the finish that's out of view, this could be making the problem happen faster.

I have a basket pipe that did that. I can stick my finger nail in the crack. It's got a round shank. Smokes fine though.

Mine still smokes good. The crack just appeared . I even put my finger over the bowl and pulled on it and no loss of suction. So its not all the way through. So I will be smoking as usual and just see how it goes. The pipe has some beautiful wood and smokes so good. I hate to see its life end. Look at some of the birds eye.
IMG085-1.jpg

If you can't draw through the crack, then by all means, pretend the crack isn't there. Difficult to do I know. Way better than tossing it.

Yeh Im not tossing. Im one of those who babies his pipes , thats how I noticed the crack right away. Its like one of my kids getting a cut or something, The only thing is the child will heal. My baby want.

Ive seen those type cracks before. a lot of times letting the cake get to thick inside of the bowl will cause that. it heats and cools at a different rate than the wood.

plumbernater":pjujlzki said:
Ive seen those type cracks before. a lot of times letting the cake get to thick inside of the bowl will cause that. it heats and cools at a different rate than the wood.
You're right, of course, but I hadn't had this pipe for very long, thus no buildup to speak of. I do like a cake slightly thicker than recommended (a dime's thickness?--forget it), but I have never lost a pipe due to cracking or burnout, including cobs. I'm going to assume there was a weakness in the wood.

I too like to let my cake get thicker than recommended. never had a crack. I m like you and think we got some defective wood, weak spot maybe

I noticed on your profile you like Petersons too, I have a few myself and really like them, Never had a issue with any of them, or my savinellis, and Ilike them as well, 614 s especially, One of my savinellis is a old 9604 nonpareil that was a plug pipe I got real cheap.
chamber is a little bigger than its suppose to be from alot of use. After I cleaned her up, shes one of my good smokers
IMG091.jpg