Craigslist pipe rack score

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great price! Congratulations!

Most of those older pipe racks can't handle large pipes unfortunately.

There is a guy on Ebay that makes nice ones that will. Generally under $100.00. But they don't come up often.

OOOHHH!
All the craigslist pipe stuff I've seen around here has been crap, not worth the cost of the gas needed to drive to get it even for free.

What a nice grab. I love those old racks. Wipe her down with a little Old English and she'll look like new.
If it won't handle your larger pipes, I just cut the circle into a u-shape (tape off, draw line, use a jig saw/fine blade). That works for my racks/collection.

3L13F83J65E45Kd5Mcd4j7dca148505531b5d.jpg

The problem I have with the older racks is more with the width of the pipes rather than the height causing a problem.

Slide":l413o3gt said:
The problem I have with the older racks is more with the width of the pipes rather than the height causing a problem.
Same. I have a pretty nice one that I found at a local antique store, similar design. It's great for most Group 1-4's. But any bigger and stem length and bowl size all start to become an issue.

Nice Score, nonetheless. :cheers:

The six pipe rack in the background had circles, I cut them into u-shapes and now it fits my large Ferndown, Upshall and Ashton pipes, up to Group 5 maybe 6.

riff raff":b8xxul29 said:
The six pipe rack in the background had circles, I cut them into u-shapes and now it fits my large Ferndown, Upshall and Ashton pipes, up to Group 5 maybe 6.
Did you use a regular hack saw and then sand? I am worried that the wood will splinter on this thing.

That's one heck of a deal brother, congrats. Being in MD you are around some prime area for things like that too. The DC Big Flea in Dulles is always cram full of cool things, if only I had been smoking pipes when I lived out there.

I missed the pictures of the original rack...posting was deleted.

New pipes today seem to be much larger than can easily be accommodated by most vintage pipe racks...the only ones that seem to be forgiving are circular models, which by shape, allow more space side-to-side naturally. I have a hexagonal one from the 40s that accepts almost any set of six briars with ease.