Crusader Pipes Pictures

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusader Pipes

Reaction score
I've selected a few pictures to put up here. As I understand it, I can't offer anything for sale yet, but I can show you what I have been doing (if I have misunderstood the rules, Moderators, please forgive me!). Some are obviously "in-progress", as I have quite a few going right now. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Please let me explain my theory on pipe carving; First, I make what I call "Sittin' Pipes", as opposed to "Walking Pipes". My pipes are made to be smoked in a relaxed manner, mostly sitting. They are not made to be clenched in the teeth, most of them would pull your dentures out from the weight. They are made to be hand-held and smoked. These pipes are reminiscent of 19th century art pipes; Made to relax and think with. They are not for smoking while changing a starter motor and are on your back under your car, pipe clenched in your teeth, cursing as you try to see through the smoke, with a little drool coming out of the corner of your mouth.

These pipes are designed to smoke sitting on a mountain ledge looking over the valley and hills beyond, or sitting by a stream, or in that overstuffed chair by a crackling fire on a cold, rainy night. Sound old fashioned? Yes, I am!

At any rate, take a look! Good natured harassment is welcome; constructive criticism is tolerated (even listened to at times); but insults will be dealt with by my agents who will spirit you away in the night, take you to a secluded place and beat you to death with spiked clubs. You will know that I have sent them because they will all be 6'6", 300lbs, dressed in pant-suits, and wearing Hillary masks.

Enjoy!

"Windy"
IMG_3588rs.jpg

"Windy"
IMG_3586rs.jpg

Pirate
IMG_3700.jpg

Clansmun
IMG_3582rs.jpg

Trapper
IMG_3575rs.jpg

Cowboy
IMG_4358.jpg

Freehand
IMG_5108.jpg

Freehand
IMG_5109.jpg

Kneeling Woman
IMG_3884.jpg

Kneeling Woman
IMG_4363.jpg

Riding Wizard
IMG_5396.jpg

Riding Wizard
IMG_5393.jpg

Girl Brushing Hair
IMG_4859.jpg

"Where's Mama?"
IMG_5399.jpg

I definitely like the one labeled "freehand." I think it is a real expression of the piece of wood that it came from. To paraphrase michaelangelo about his sculptures: the figure exists in the block; the art is freeing the imprisoned beauty.

"Cowboy" looks a lot like Jamie from Mythbusters to me... which just adds to the awesomeness.

Between your skill and your sense of humor (and the fact I'm a "sittin' smoker,") I will have my eye on your work in the future! Good stuff! 8)

Thanks guys !
I certainly appreciate the compliments and interest ! I am way away from where I want to go with the carvings. What I'm working on now is to rival the old masters of the late 1800's both in artistic content and craftsmanship. The craftsmanship is the hard part for me. I am improving my tobacco holes and stems. Many of the tobacco holes are very deep compared to most modern style pipes,and makes it easier to screw up a nice smooth wall to the hole. Those on the tree stump style can be very deep.My earlier work has alot of gouges in the bowl. I am constantly trying to improve on that. I've started carving some of the stems, espicially those that are a contiguous part of a design, like a tree limb or dragon tail.
Jefe,I totally agree with the Michaelangelo quote ! I have believed that since I started formulating ideas about my own art. Actually I believe God has ordained such work in art.
As for humour,life would be one dull drudge without it ! I was just reading the comments on Mr. Kaplans oak burl ,yes good laugh ! It's one of the things I like about this forum.
At any rate thanks again ! Looking forward to more talk here !

Love your work, I respect people that have the talent that can carve like that...its not easy.

Thanks Derek and Smokinbriar,
Thanks for the compliments ! It helps to love your work as I surely do ! I have many pipes going at once, some already have homes and some do not. Then there are those that I carve for myself. Those tend to be freehands or very complicated figural pieces. Like I said I admire artistic pieces from the 1800's.
After I 've gained status here I will post what's for sale at the time. Again Thanks guys !

"Windy" is really cool (pun intended) Seriously, I like that a lot.
I would never think of saying anything offensive....That image of Hillary scares me to death.

Cheers,

Jeff...

Jeff,
Thanks for the compliment ! Glad you like it. It's one of the better examples of what I do.
Hillary is pretty scary,there is no doubt about that ! I seriously doubt there will be any requests for a Hillary pipe, I've done a TR pipe , a Col. Chamderlain, I can see an Abe Lincoln,a George Patton,a Robert E. Lee, maybe even a Sarah Palin, but no Hillary.
Thanks for taking a look !
Tim