Cumberland

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxerbuddy

Reaction score
I just got a tin of Cumberland in the mail from smokingpipes. I ordered it after reading some great reviews here on it. Its not quite what I expected. The Kentucky is very up front and center with the virginias in the background and just a hint of perique that you really can't taste till about halfway through the bowl.
This is not necesarily a bad thing for some people I would venture to guess, but it left it kindof...empty tasting to me. It seems that if this had more virginia in it it would fit my tastes better. I could taste the sweetness there in the background and with every puff I was hoping that it would poke its head out more, but it didn't.
In general I love virginia burley blends but I think I like the virginia to play the main role with the burley supporting.
Having said that I will say this....this is the easiest tobacco I have ever smoked to dissect taste wise...the flavors are very clear and easily distinguishable...which I did like.
I love VaPers too...maybe Filmore will be more up my alley.

Plain burley and Kentucky are two different ball games when it comes to taste and strength. Maybe that's what you find disappointing about the blend?

It could be....maybe the kentucky is overpowering the virginias for me. It definately has a decent amount of nicotine in it.

Boxerbuddy":ps4pur2a said:
It could be....maybe the kentucky is overpowering the virginias for me. It definately has a decent amount of nicotine in it.
Sounds about right to me. Kentucky is good stuff and it does have muscle taste wise and a decent nic hit too. Love the stuff!

If you don't like it now, give it 6-12 months. Like Haddos it really transforms in this time. The mahogany (KY), which has a very distinctive taste, tones down and the VAs come forward.

Cumberland impressed me fresh when I first smoked it, so much so that I stockpiled it seriously. Now I have 5 pounds that is 5+ y/o. It is wondrously changed, but even at this age, the mahogany still dominates.

If you like VA forward blends...you can always adjust your Cumberland by adding a PINCH of 5100. Shudder! Now that just gives me the willeys. I love Cumberland for the very reason that it's one of a handfull of blends out there that feature good KY and allow it a forward position.

You might try smoking your Cumbeland in a cob. That might change it more to your taste. I don't know why that would be the case...but you never know. Can't hurt. lol