Curing???????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefBull

Reaction score
When they say a particular Pipe tobacco is "Rum cured" or "Cognac cured", what are they saying principally? Is the tobacco in the tumbler given a spritz of Rum or Cognac in the pressing or tumbling?
Can I do that???
How sensitive a process is that?
What would happen if I took a couple of ounces of say a cube cut burley and spritzed it with a tot of Bourbon? Would that make it disagreeable? Cube cut Burley seems to be "the meat, potatoes and gravy" of pipe smoking [for me]. The aromatics in the Bourbon, Rum or whatever, do you have to let it sit and dry a bit. The alcohol is the suspension medium for the esters in the aromatics, so given its volatility when it gases out are these left behind?
Lotz of questions here.

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull
PS won an absolutely beautiful 'apple bowl' chunky Hardcastle in an estate auction to add to my Hardcastle collection.

You could try a spritz of flavouring and let it dry out before smoking it, but Don't try to age any tobacco after doing this.
The chances of this is that it will grow mould.

When you read "....when they say a particular Pipe tobacco is "Rum cured" or "Cognac cured",.. " is a miss use of the term Cured. They are referring to a TOPPING applied to a particular blend/mixture.type of tobacco. Here is the accepted definition of tobacco curing :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curing_of_tobacco.
As far as TOPPING your tobacco, take the blend/mixture you wan't to flavor, and systematically add various amounts of what you want to add to the same quantity of tobacco, set each aside for various times, then open and smoke each "variety" you've done and decide which you like. This will take some time but what else ya gonna do ?  :twisted:  :twisted: 

'Topping', a better choice of word
Gotit'!
Will try "gingerly"

regards
ChiefBull