Curious to know...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
Does anybody know how the "Canadian" pipe shape got its title? Was it a popular shape in Canada? Introduced by a Canadian carver? Why is it called a "Canadian"?

Also, does anyone else find it ironic that Brigham, the quintessential Canadian pipe company, doesn't have any Canadian shaped pipes in their line-up? Strange eh?

I can't tell you where the name came from nut I can vouch for Brigham having at least HAD a Canadian shape in their catalog. This one's in my collection - it's a Brigham 390:

brigha13.jpg

If they'd like to bring the #90 chape back into the fold, I'd be tempted to buy another!

If I am not mistaken, the Canadian and Lumberman pipes take their name from their longer than standard shanks, which were preferred by loggers, who liked to slide them down into the top of their boot for safe keeping.

Here is a pipedia link describing the various variations of this billiard variation, including the various stem and shank variations. :lol:

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Canadian

Nice pipe Ontario! And being from BC I can appreciate the logger association with the pipe. Trying to imagine cutting timber all day with a pipe in my boot. People were made of different fiber then I guess.

As a patriotic Canadian I have to get a Brigham at some point. I've always liked the 26 shape.

Psmith":jyy2hoco said:
Nice pipe Ontario!  And being from BC I can appreciate the logger association with the pipe.  Trying to imagine cutting timber all day with a pipe in my boot.  People were made of different fiber then I guess.

As a patriotic Canadian I have to get a Brigham at some point.  I've always liked the 26 shape.
Can't go wrong with a Bent Bulldog, IMHO! It's a pity that the 26 seems to only be available for the three lowest grades of modern Brigs (Voyageur (1-dot), Algonquin (2-dot) & Mountaineer (3-dot)). Seems rather odd to drop such a classic shape from the upper grades. You can, however, buy an Acadian (7-dot without the dots) in a Shape 16 (straight Bulldog).

Dutch":8a8mckcy said:
If I am not mistaken, the Canadian and Lumberman pipes take their name from their longer than standard shanks, which were preferred by loggers, who liked to slide them down into the top of their boot for safe keeping.

Here is a pipedia link describing the various variations of this billiard variation, including the various stem and shank variations. :lol:

Interesting! Personally I really don't the look of the canadians and couldn't smoke one without feeling awkward. Does anyone feel this way? Not sure why but the proportions bother me

Dutch":lgvx4i34 said:

Interesting, indeed! And it actually makes sense, considering their working conditions.

Bugsahearn":1i78y2g0 said:
Dutch":1i78y2g0 said:

Interesting! Personally I really don't the look of the canadians and couldn't smoke one without feeling awkward. Does anyone feel this way? Not sure why but the proportions bother me
I understand what you're saying. The Brigham Canadian in the pic is a LONG pipe - almost 7" - so it takes a bit of getting used to. But on the other hand, I feel like Bing Crosby when I smoke it :D :D

The thing I find appealing about the Canadian shape is there is more wood on view to appreciate. I've also wondered why they are not more expensive than other shapes because I would imagine that the most expensive material in the construction of a pipe would be briar. I guess you could argue that a fat rhodesian or pipes with massive bowls use more briar but I would think you would need a significant piece of briar (at least in length) to turn out a Canadian.

ontariopiper":cnfh04yj said:
I understand what you're saying. The Brigham Canadian in the pic is a LONG pipe - almost 7" - so it takes a bit of getting used to. But on the other hand, I feel like Bing Crosby when I smoke it :D :D
Does it make you start crooning too?

:joker:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":o9koj7fq said:
ontariopiper":o9koj7fq said:

Cheers,

RR
Ha since it was rainy today I decided to grab a bag of crooner on my way to work. Walking about in the rain I had the chance to smoke quite a bit, I really don't like it. It's different and I'm cool with that, and the deer tongue doesn't even bother me it's Ok but I just thought it was a bad blend and not at all fun to smoke. I don't really like bing crosby much either. I know he seems very popular among pipe smokers, I prefer Frank Sinatra and Tommy Dorsey

ontariopiper":jgsue7ob said:
Bugsahearn":jgsue7ob said:
Dutch":jgsue7ob said:

Well, there may be the possibility that there is a phallic suggestion proposed with the longer shank. I mean, if you were a manly logger, wouldn't you want a pipe with substantially more wood? ;)

You may think I am kidding, but when you consider the Crakow shoes the French upper classes wore in the 15th century with the long poulaines, the long shanked Canadian could have been intentionally suggestive in it's original design. My guess is that loggers are most likely an ego driven bunch, similar to some of the super truckers and welders I have worked with over the years. :lol:

Brewdude":ri4c7g12 said:
ontariopiper":ri4c7g12 said:

Cheers,

RR
Thankfully for those around me, no - or at least not usually! :D