Current state of Escudo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_In_Philly

Reaction score
I need to restock but I remember some rumblings around the internet that the blend may have been altered to some extent. Is the difference enough that I should grab a tin and try it, or minor enough that its safe enough to place my order for 10 tins sight unseen.

Dave_In_Philly":xft22av9 said:
I need to restock but I remember some rumblings around the internet that the blend may have been altered to some extent. Is the difference enough that I should grab a tin and try it, or minor enough that its safe enough to place my order for 10 tins sight unseen.
Being a real lover of Escudo and smoking it daily I've noticed a change but, I crack a tin open and then secure the lid back on and let it breath shall we say for about a week and I find it's more palatable, otherwise I get a strange chemical taste if I don't, YMMV.
You will find that upon opening the tin the tin scent is weaker then it use to be about 2 years ago. All in all I still think it's worth smoking seeing I have about 5 years worth cellared now. ;)

Dave_In_Philly":evh3b1xd said:
I only discovered Escudo about a 18 months ago so I can't say whether it has changed.

What I can say is that the Escudo I'm smoking is one marvelous tobacco, one I don't want to be without, ever!

It's hard for me to judge because I had been smoking a sizeable stash from the early 2000s before the changeover from Petersen to STG. I was definitely surprised by my first tin of the STG version, but it may have been mostly due to switching from a ten-year-old batch to the new stuff.

I happily smoke the current product and find it excellent. In fact, I still regard it as a desert-island blend. Cart is right that it helps to let the tobacco breathe for a couple of days after opening the tin.

Escudo is one of the VaPers that define the style for me. Started with it back around '01 or so and came back to it after a long pipe hiatus. Found that it still had je ne sais quoi...

I haven't had the pleasure of the current production, but I just received a tin from the BoB Bombers which I'll be eager to open and check out. And, I'll heed what has been said about letting it breathe after opening. I'll be expecting great things!

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":zcblui2e said:
Escudo is one of the VaPers that define the style for me. Started with it back around '01 or so and came back to it after a long pipe hiatus. Found that it still had je ne sais quoi...

I haven't had the pleasure of the current production, but I just received a tin from the BoB Bombers which I'll be eager to open and check out. And, I'll heed what has been said about letting it breathe after opening. I'll be expecting great things!

Cheers,

RR
Jenny said what? :suspect:

Cartaphilus":m9s7npnx said:
Brewdude":m9s7npnx said:

Cheers,

RR
Jenny? I doan tek yer meaning laddie..........

:?:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":1m19qqay said:
Cartaphilus":1m19qqay said:
Brewdude":1m19qqay said:

Cheers,

RR

Jenny? I doan tek yer meaning laddie..........

:?:

Cheers,

RR
:lol:

C'mon guys, are you going to make a Swede step in to untangle the old fogey english here... ;)

Pronounce 'je ne sais quoi' like I imagine Cart pronounces everything; as if the last note of the duelling banjos from Deliverance is still hanging in the air. Then, apply top of the pops from the early 80's:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dg_YueZ4fi8" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Retrogasm":3ncakg9d said:
C'mon guys, are you going to make a Swede step in to untangle the old fogey english here... ;)

Pronounce 'je ne sais quoi' like I imagine Cart pronounces everything; as if the last note of the duelling banjos from Deliverance is still hanging in the air. Then, apply top of the pops from the early 80's:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dg_YueZ4fi8" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Geez-louise, Ron... where are all of these guys from. I got ya' from the start. ;) :lol:

Just to set the record straight,............. I HATE that song!!!!!!!!

All this over me making a reference to jena say quaw.

Cartaphilus":nzu71dto said:

Now you're talking about native American Indian girls. .. confused.

Stick":hulpmbe2 said:
Cartaphilus":hulpmbe2 said:

Now you're talking about native American Indian girls. .. confused.
:suspect: :suspect: