Cursed Back Problems

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
I know some, if not many, of our brothers are cursed with back ailments...

I've suffered from spasms (literally locking my back) since college days. I have been blessed since I "retired" from the ministry in 2004... hardly any problems.

Then yesterday, I was doing the laundry (another thing on my wife's list that she has for me). I bent over and got that sharp intitial pain. Today, I'm bent like a pretzel but no real pain.

Went to the communal mail box, a half a block away. Took me 10 minutes. Nothing. Got back and had my muscle relaxer pills on the table and the doorbell rang...

... the sweet young blonde mail deliverer brought two parcels... a quilt for our latest grandchild from auntie in Florida... the other, 2 pounds of GLP that I had ordered...

:D :cheers: :D :cheers:

I've got the curse at L4/L5, like many with disc problems. Not as serious as many back problems, but sucks nonetheless. Two steroid shots earlier in the year have tempered it a bit.

My back is shot as well and I ave to take some heavy meds to control the just a little so I can move around. I do feel for you and understand.

I have siatica from time to time that's really painful,but the upside of it is that
when I have to take a pain pill the tobacco tastes better.There's something about
the pill that enhances the smoking and I wake up the next day with a fried tongue
because I couldn't feel the pain of tonguebite coming on. :x

Winslow :sunny:

Paul,

I'm sorry to hear about your back, but thankfully you are not in a lot of pain.

One thing for you to remember..... wives lists are hazardous to you health.

One thing for me to remember...... fake back pains so by wife will let me order Pease tobacco by the kilo, ( and specify delivery by a good looking blond)

Hope your back loosens up.

Mike B.

Withya my friend.....Too many years of Hard Martial Arts.....Now I have a dehydrating disk at l3-l4...Surgury in the future.....
Ah the Halyon days of our youth.....

So what was the 2 lbs? Gotta know which GLP can ease the pain! :)

I can really sympathize with you guys with back problems. I sell spine implants, and I've only seen one case of ankylosing spondylitis in all my time... And after seeing what it does, I can understand why you are a jaded old fart, Kilted :lol!:

About 25 years ago, I went in for an operation. The problem is degenerative discs.. there are three L3,L4, L5 with 4 being the worse. The surgeon was going to splice them (fuse) them together, but the success rate was about 50 % and suggested that he not operate. Put me on weight loss and lots of physio... Funny, as I get older, I have fewer problems... today it's a lot better. I have to officiate at a service this afternoon for a young man who was killed in an avalanche while skidooing in the mountains in BC. So, I glad I won't be drugged up for it.

The valium chased by beer seemed to work :shock: That was yesterday afternoon :shock: A few years ago, I would have been stuck in bed for a week and in lots of pain.

Slow Puffs":xkkl17ei said:
About 25 years ago, I went in for an operation. The problem is degenerative discs.. there are three L3,L4, L5 with 4 being the worse. The surgeon was going to splice them (fuse) them together, but the success rate was about 50 % and suggested that he not operate. Put me on weight loss and lots of physio... Funny, as I get older, I have fewer problems... today it's a lot better. I have to officiate at a service this afternoon for a young man who was killed in an avalanche while skidooing in the mountains in BC. So, I glad I won't be drugged up for it.

The valium chased by beer seemed to work :shock: That was yesterday afternoon :shock: A few years ago, I would have been stuck in bed for a week and in lots of pain.
It is really good to hear that you aren't in as much pain. If you need surgery, you'll be relieved to know that the success rate is actually much better now. Implants are now used for stabilization, and biological devices are available that significantly help the fusion process as well. If you ever get to that point, pm me and I can help you get properly educated on what is really going on. BTW, there are a lot of considerations that go into which surgery needs to be done, and not all surgeons are proficient in every procedure. When it comes to a spine surgery, I think it is important not to fall in love with a surgeon without proper understanding... I'd be prepared to "interview" several different surgeons. Good luck with it.

Wow... the resources on this pipe forum are something else :D

Thank you so much for the information. Hopefully it won't come to that.

:D