Cut this burl and this is what I find

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpedittopipes

Reaction score
Always supprised when I start a pipe. and it begins with the burl. I may go thru hours of cutting before I find the piece thats right. This ones right,and will be the next pipe.Not sure,however,I think I will make this for my good friend cigarstorejay, who is helping me make my mark. Don't think i'll sell this one. And right now its only a vision in my mind,we'll see what it looks like.
Will p ost pics of finished Gem.

Moved this to the DIY forum. Looks like you are making a pipe and not selling. At least not in this thread. Hope you will get more views and comments in this forum.

I am amazing looking at the photos of the grain. Is that really briar? Great pics. Please post more as you progress.

i read your description of the pincherry in another thread, about your nose warmer. I liked the turquoise detail, and the grain is terrific. Keep us updated, whatever the thread.

That's some gorgeous burl. You may know this already, but I'll mention it just in case. On another forum I'm on there is quite a bit of conversation about "alternative" woods, meaning other than briar. In those conversations there are always a few themes that come out like, grain, proper drying and curing, but most importantly the toxicity of the wood.

A lot of woods have toxins in them that are released when they're heated. There are sites out there that actually list how toxic certain woods are. If you don't already know what toxins are in that wood, you might give it a look. I'd hate to hear about you getting an unexpected trip to the hospital or something.

Very nice wood though!

I'm right there with you on this. I have done a lot of research on this and have found no problems with the burl that I use and dont plan on using anything but briar or the firecherry burl. Thanks man!! I do appreciate any info or input. I've gained tons of knowledge the short time i've been on here.
Your right, it is great looking wood though, isn;'t it. almost midnight, gotta get back to the design of the new pipe,be out here til the birds start singing. Thanks again

treezenroots":tuvkggqn said:
I just love the look you have going. Looks like the kind of garage I could sit and drink some beer in til the birds start singing. Keep it cool man. Love the burl!

Josh