Cutting block for tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud31

Reaction score
Thanks to YouTube and the "Salts of the Earth" here on BoB, my smoking experience has advanced by leaps and bounds. . . .

That being said, I'm transitioning from the beginner's penchant for ribbon-cut aromatics and starting to branch out into other types, one of which is flake: got a hold of some Rattray's Wallace Flake and I REALLY enjoyed it!  That being said, a whole new world has opened up for me, flakes, crumble-cakes and coins (oh my!) and all the cutting, rubbing and cellaring, practical and ceremonial, that goes with it (the pipe is not just a smoke, it's an adventure!)

That being said, its another opportunity to delve into the wonderful manly activity of what I call 'gadgeting', i.e., selecting specialized implements of the trade leisurely and with delightfully painstaking care.  There is a related thread regarding which knife to use for cutting, for which I have my trusty Buck 110, but my question is regarding cutting blocks-do you all have a dedicated block for cutting tobacco? Butcher block? Metal tray?

The prospect of the kitchen butcher-block doing double-duty is NOT appealing....

Just curious as to what you avid pipe connoisseurs out there swear by.

Thanks!

I have a dedicated Corian cutting board for destemming and rough cutting my leaf, a small (6x8 inch) vinyl one that came with a knife set (cheap!) for cutting bricks and rope(ish) forms, and a small fishy shaped bowl/pipe rest black walnut bowl I use for crumbling/drying crumble cakes, flakes, and coins. Most of the ropes I can cut with a cigar cutter, and for those I just drop them in that...

Soo, whatever you can use is OK, as long as it won't dull your knife, and/or you don't mind leaving knife marks in it!

I just have an old length of black walnut board that I saved out special just for cutting tobacco. I know that many things can and have been used over the years. I've even seen an old moose antler used as a cutting board. I'm sure anything you pick up as a cutting board will serve you well for many years to come.

Jim