Cutting Plug

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotties22

Reaction score
A friend of my husband's sent a bit of Jack Knife Plug for us to try. As I am not a plug smoker I wasn't sure of the best way to cut it....what say you?

I keep it super simple - I slice 'em into coins using a cigar cutter.

My brain is sleepy today....can you post a pic of the cutting of the coins?

idbowman":62svczvj said:
Plugs fit into a cigar cutter?

Rope:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1iddCRTAF7s" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Plug:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2emL6sLKdmY" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

scotties22":6o175g17 said:
A friend of my husband's sent a bit of Jack Knife Plug for us to try.  As I am not a plug smoker I wasn't sure of the best way to cut it....what say you?
Here's a little article that talks a bit about various ways of preparing JKP.

glpease":9tdqzavu said:
scotties22":9tdqzavu said:
A friend of my husband's sent a bit of Jack Knife Plug for us to try.  As I am not a plug smoker I wasn't sure of the best way to cut it....what say you?
Thanks Greg! I was going to call George but we both know he isn't out of bed yet :lol:

scotties22":9ezmk9xj said:
glpease":9ezmk9xj said:
scotties22":9ezmk9xj said:
Thanks Greg!  I was going to call George but we both know he isn't out of bed yet :lol:
Not to mention that his method would likely include some exotic precision machinery only available from a little-known Swiss manufacturer that would require a second mortgage, a six-week lead time for delivery, and an army of highly trained engineers to install it in your basement. ;)

DireWolf":iqe6py5a said:
idbowman":iqe6py5a said:
Plugs fit into a cigar cutter?
HA! I've been working my way through a rope and must have just had it on my mind.

I mean...unless you had a really, really big cigar cutter :oops:

Back when I wen't off the deep end trying everything I could get my hands on I tried some of the Brit Ropes and all I used was a very sharp Case pocketknife as did the Scotsman who introduced me to the 'baccy t***s !! Cut off slices, rubbed 'em out, let it dry a bit, loaded the pipe and put a match to it!! Found out most of these were WAAAAY too much hastle for me as well as not up my flavor/smoking alley. That was 30+ years ago and haven't seen the need to revisit 'em since !! :twisted: :twisted:
But KISS it and just use a nice SHARP knife and enjoy !! :twisted: :twisted:

glpease":1bk3kuoi said:
scotties22":1bk3kuoi said:
glpease":1bk3kuoi said:
scotties22":1bk3kuoi said:
Thanks Greg!  I was going to call George but we both know he isn't out of bed yet :lol:
Not to mention that his method would likely include some exotic precision machinery only available from a little-known Swiss manufacturer that would require a second mortgage, a six-week lead time for delivery, and an army of highly trained engineers to install it in your basement. ;)
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

monbla256":68dassmd said:
Back when I wen't off the deep end trying everything I could get my hands on I tried some of the Brit Ropes and all I used was a very sharp Case pocketknife as did the Scotsman who introduced me to the 'baccy t***s !! Cut off slices, rubbed 'em out, let it dry a bit, loaded the pipe and put a match to it!! Found out most of these were WAAAAY too much hastle for me as well as not up my flavor/smoking alley. That was 30+ years ago and haven't seen the need to revisit 'em since !! :twisted: :twisted:
But KISS it and just use a nice SHARP knife and enjoy !! :twisted: :twisted:
We're gonna give it a whirl tonight and see what's doin'. I smoke a lot of Red Va's these days. So, we'll see how I fare with the dark-fired Kentucky.

Have fun with the JKP, Scotties. I haven't had any in a while, might be time to crack a tin. :D I always cheated and removed the strata in layers, cut it down to size with scissors or a knife. JKP lent itself a multi-purpose tobacco in that regard--I could get different smokes from different layers, or mix it all up.

Yeah, I think I'll open a tin tonight. Good idea.

8)

scotties22":wkzgbuz7 said:
glpease":wkzgbuz7 said:
glpease":wkzgbuz7 said:
Are you talking about LatakiaLover from PMF?

Thomas Tkach":w3qfbykz said:
scotties22":w3qfbykz said:
glpease":w3qfbykz said:
glpease":w3qfbykz said:
YES!!!!! He goes by LL here...when he stops in.

scotties22":v39kdzlw said:
Thomas Tkach":v39kdzlw said:
glpease":v39kdzlw said:
glpease":v39kdzlw said:
YES!!!!! He goes by LL here...when he stops in.
I have lurked SOOOOO much over there. I think I am to be given a wood lathe (I'm not sure what kind, but some bowls were turned on it) when I move this spring, so I'll be looking for a deal on cheap briar from Mr. Norse to get things started.

Plug prep for me depends on the nature of the plug.

In general I slice off strips lengthwise as though I was creating a flake of about 1/8" thick. Then rub it out like I do with flakes.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

my favorite way is to cut it into super thin slices and rub it out to a really fine almost shag cut. So nice.

I like the cube method too, but its hard to keep it lit for me.

rev