Cyprian Star Experiment

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloppy Joe Hemingway

Reaction score
I have two tins of McC Cyprian Star sitting here. I got them both from a friend who wasn't a huge fan and was nice enough to pass them on to me to try. One tin is marked "Cyprian Star III," the bottom of which is marked that it was made in 1996. The other is a fresh can, marked 2012. I JUST popped these tins today for a smoke... Here's the experiment part:

I'm new to pipe smoking and I'm still developing my palate. I'm willing to send anyone who wants one a sample of BOTH Cyprian Stars with the hitch that whoever requests the samples will write their thoughts here, comparing and contrasting the two. I'll happily distribute samples until the supply runs out. Just PM me your address. Any takers?

Well, I have tried a bowl of each.

This was my first experience with Cyprian Star and I can say that, in my opinion, this is a great blend.

There is just the right amount of Latakia to give a nice full flavor without overpowering the Virginias.
In fact the Virginias provide just a hint of sweetness that lasts right to the end of the bowl. Good stuff!

I found the two samples to be nearly identical in flavor. Both were just slightly moist, but took a light easily and stayed lit reasonably well. The 1993 sample was, and this is hard to describe, smoother and less edgy. The flavors were more thoroughly integrated. It's sort of like how beef stew or chilli always tastes better the next day.

I would highly recommend this blend (either vintage).

Thank you Sloppy Joe for sharing this great experience.

Todd

As promised here is the first part of my notes, these are from smoking the 1996 Cyprian Star.

Josh, Thank you so much for the sample. This stuff is undeniably superb in every way shape & form and I am a better human being for having smoked it. :D

CS III - McClelland - 96

Bjarne Bent Apple

Aroma - smoky, molasses, tomato paste, dried ground ancho chile, and sweet smoked Spanish paprika. Very sweet unsmoked aroma.

I count 3 shades of leaf color - black, walnut brown, and deep mahogany.

Course cut, leaves in chunks, a little rubbing out is needed, as well as a tiny bit of dry time - approx 20 min.

Charring light/true light - sweet smooth charring light, the smoke is amazingly soft, sweet and slightly bitter. Typical pine undertones are so subtle, almost more cedar like, and a rich buttery oak aroma is present. Reminiscent of a more aged sample of VA Woods. A faint sour VA flavor providing a bit of contrast in the overall taste, spicy pine pitch Cyprian latakia flavor that you might expect in a youthful Cyprian Latakia blend is completely altered by age and practically undetectable, but is still evident to a certain degree in the aroma. Aroma is rich, with a sweet, sugary, slightly spicy burnt fruit wood scent.

Mid bowl - tart/ sweet contrast intensifies. Reminds me of a pink lady or honey crisp apple and the way those varietals satisfy the sense of taste and smell with a dual layer of flavor. The VA is doing most of the work here. Flavors are very nice and demand your attention. Smoke it still extremely smooth, not a whisper of bite. A testament to how well McClelland's VA's age. Flavor is slightly more rich leaning toward the sweeter side of the spectrum. Breath technique at mid bowl brings forth a bit more spice and a subtle yet enjoyable bitterness. One relight brought forth a rich hot cocoa/mole like flavor. Damn!

Bowl of my pipe is still very cool to the touch even with me puffing a little more than normal. The sweetness of this blend reminds me a little of GLP Maltese Falcon.

End bowl - tar flavors amplify some, smoke is still delicate, soft, cool and smooth. A slight pine flavor is at play as well as a forward pepperiness. Aroma is still very sweet, like brown sugar/treacle sweet. Latakia is so delicate, the balance here is done to absolute perfection. As it burns down a bit more the flavors are deeper, almost a stout Solani Aged Burley like depth. Sweetness is dying down, spiciness has picked up, smoke it still velvety smooth and very delicious.

Smokes effortlessly - 8 matches altogether 3 at charring 1 at true 2 by design, 2 more at random. Minimal tamping required. Bowl stayed very cool. Absolutely no bite or leather tongue at all. I even drank a carbonated beverage afterwards with zero tongue-zap. Excellent tobacco, i did not want this bowl to end. Highly recommended.

Cyprian Star 2012 notes, with comparison to come soon. ;)

I took Joe up on his offer and have smoked a bowl of each now and have to say they BOTH were another of McC's "sleepers" which deserve far more attention than are given around here :p The older blend has a somewhat smoother/mellow aspect to it's flavor though both showcase the Cyprian Latakia beautifully! The 2012 dated blend is a bit "sharper" in all- round note but both are some really nice burning, cool smoking true "English" blends which deserve more attention :p Thanks Joe for letting me experience some really great blends :p

As promised here are my notes from smoking the 2012 version. I found these two tobaccos to be more similar than not. There was a lot to like about both CS III and this year's CS, but the WOW factor for me definitely came from smoking the 96 CS III.

McClelland CS 2012

Bjarne Bent apple

Bag Aroma - very similar to CS III. A tad bit brighter, a bit more citrusy.

Cut is a touch different. Less uniformity, some of the lighter strands are long and thin, more shag like, the rest is a combo of ribbon and course cut.

Charring light - honey like, a touch of a sour contrast with a slight hint of coffee. Very smooth a bit lighter in body compared to CS III. Not as creamy. Very pleasant sweetness, slight sour twang aside, it's very similar to CS iii in that regard. A hint of clove is reminicent of a Djarum clove cigarette. Latakia is subtle and much more background than I expected. This smokes similar to some of McClelland's Syrian offerings.

Pretty tasty but 10 minutes is a touch monochromatic. The sour flavor has intensified a bit, it's nice but perhaps a touch overwhelming. Still at this point the Latakia is very subtle. Could almost lump this in with the Frog Morton products. The sourness is really ramping up, the affect is a higher salivation factor. Some folks say Erinmore reminds them of Juicy Fruit, well this reminds me of Gator Gum.

Half-way point or a little past - Little bit of a spice kick coming through right near the tip of the tongue. The sweetness has returned and the smoke is more full and less dominated by the sour flavor that trumped the first portion if the smoke. Slightly heavier Cyprian Lat flavors bit still no pine pitch flavor (just aroma), I'd say the the Latakia is just as calm as that of CS III. Perhaps the Lat in this blend and CS III is cured a bit different than the norm or from a separate source?

End point - flavors become a touch more intense but there's no big crescendo, however there is a smooth slightly sweet smokey nuance that is the hallmark of McClelland's milder lat blends. No bite whatsoever. Pipe has remained slightly warm, moisture level was also perfect, perhaps just a touch moist judging from the dottle left behind, but still no gurgle.

Some flavors I experienced smoking this - Stewed prunes, Dark cane sugar, cloves, fenugreek and coffee notes.

Quite a nice smoke altogether. I could easily smoke several bowls of this a day and not tire of it. It's smooth, flavorful, and is well behaved.

Josh, Thanks again for conducting this experiment.

Chris

Thank you guys for participating! I like to hear more experienced thoughts on tobaccos. It helps me look for flavors in my own smoke, if that makes sense. Thanks again, Brothers! Glad ya enjoyed!