D.I.B. **Desert Island Blends**

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derlict311

Reaction score
With so many different tobaccos to choose from today, it is easy to get pulled from one love to another only to forget how you ended up where you are and how you got there. Plainly put, the vast spectrum of tobacco blends is overwhelming. Neill from a Passion for Pipes says we live in the "Golden Age of tobacco". I tend to agree.

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2010/7/14/five-strategies-to-improve-your-new-tobacco-blend-exploratio.html

Here are a few of my favorite blends that I could walk off into the sunset with (as of today mind you :cyclops: , it could change tomorrow):

1. Samarra
2. Irishman's 5 O'Clock (my current love that I'm contemplating ditching my wife for)
3. Cairo
4. Escudo
5. Haddo's Delight

What are your D.I.B.?

Your last two, definitely. I have always been haunted by a book I read about Shackleton's journey to the south pole. If memory serves, his men were each limited to one pound of tobacco to take with them for the entire trip. They were eventually reduced to smoking tea leaves, coffee grounds, and other concoctions. But I have always wondered what I would take on such an expedition, in similar circumstances. Something like FVF, maybe? What if you were limited to just ONE tobacco? I don't mean to hijack your thread, but as I said, this has always haunted me. Why, any minute now I am expecting to be called to go on a secret mission for the U.S. government, and I need to know what to pack, assuming the same restriction. I won't sleep well tonight.

Easy for me...

Nightcap
London Mixture
Exotique
Astley's No.99
Nightcap :p

It would be tough choosing just one, but if we could have a rotation, it would be:

1) Grasmere Flake
2) Westmoreland
3) Royal Jersey/Perique
4) St. Bruno Flake
5) Squadron Leader

Despite the above order of my preferences, if I were limited to two choices, it would either be Grasmere & Squadron Leader or Royal Jersey/St Bruno, just because those are the most opposite, which would make it harder to get tired of them.

Richard Burley":ytbey5dk said:
Your last two, definitely. I have always been haunted by a book I read about Shackleton's journey to the south pole. If memory serves, his men were each limited to one pound of tobacco to take with them for the entire trip. They were eventually reduced to smoking tea leaves, coffee grounds, and other concoctions. But I have always wondered what I would take on such an expedition, in similar circumstances. Something like FVF, maybe? What if you were limited to just ONE tobacco? I don't mean to hijack your thread, but as I said, this has always haunted me. Why, any minute now I am expecting to be called to go on a secret mission for the U.S. government, and I need to know what to pack, assuming the same restriction. I won't sleep well tonight.
This is great. :star: Hopefully, the captain will just give you poison rather than subject you to an expedition without tobacco. How is one to relax from the frostbite? From the rigors of all day hikes with nothing for dried cod and stale bread? From a trip with only potential for spooning is with another man? Aye, yi, yi. Good luck with that dream. I'd be scared to.

DrT999":ekv5o7bj said:
4) St. Bruno Flake
Do they even make that anymore? My guy at the B&M here in Omaha, Ted's Tobacco, bought something like loads of tins of the stuff in the late nineties when they were closing their doors (or changing somehow). He said he loved it so much he wanted a lifetime supply. The stubborn old codger won't give up even one! Next thread, tobacco hoarders.

1) Embarcadero.
2) Full Virginia Flake.
3) Union Square (Jury's still out on this one).
4) & 5) See above.

:face:

derlict311":xrbwmyqq said:
DrT999":xrbwmyqq said:
4) St. Bruno Flake
Do they even make that anymore? My guy at the B&M here in Omaha, Ted's Tobacco, bought something like loads of tins of the stuff in the late nineties when they were closing their doors (or changing somehow). He said he loved it so much he wanted a lifetime supply. The stubborn old codger won't give up even one! Next thread, tobacco hoarders.
I have to order it from Mr Snuff in Northern Island

These two for sure:

Uhle's 00
3 Oaks Syrian

Depending on my mood, any combination of the following to make up the five:

GH & co Curly Cut Regular
SG Medium Virginia
Conniston Cut Plug Unscented
Golden Extra
McClelland Oriental 14
Peretti Royal Blend

I'm probably forgetting about something I can't possibly live without :lol:

SG Navy Flake
SG Skiff
Golden sliced
Mc B Highland blend
Sutliff No. 5

For me it would have to be:
1. Dunhill Royal Yacht
2. Dunhill Flake
3. Peretti's Royal Blend
4. McC's Blackwoods Flake
5. McC's Virginia Woods.
Since we're gonna be on a "... desert island" can't take any bulk :twisted:

Stranded on a desert island, I would want tobacco seeds!!! Teach a man to cook, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for life.

Yak":pg28u0z3 said:
1) Embarcadero.
2) Full Virginia Flake.
3) Union Square (Jury's still out on this one).
4) & 5) See above.

:face:
Redundancy is strictly prohibited. Redundancy is strictly prohibited. :clown:

Northern Neil":ddlf21we said:
Stranded on a desert island, I would want tobacco seeds!!! Teach a man to cook, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Tobacco needs LOT's of water and not salt water :twisted:

monbla256":1venos7p said:
Northern Neil":1venos7p said:
So do humans, so hopefully there is a fresh water spring available or there isn't much point in bringing tobacco :lol:

Northern Neil":jbui1hgi said:
monbla256":jbui1hgi said:
Northern Neil":jbui1hgi said:
So do humans, so hopefully there is a fresh water spring available or there isn't much point in bringing tobacco :lol:
Well, all the quotes seem to blend to the real solution.

Water of course can be distilled from sea water.

Once we've built the still and have MonblaEightBits garden produce, we can proceed to enhance life further. A pinch of tobacco could then provide that base for fermentation.

There you have it. Civilization.

Oh, I was hoping for exile on a de'serted isle, with plenty of air drops and no one whining about the smell of latakia, not shipwrecked on a des'ert isle, playing survivor.

My error ;)

I agree. And I don't think I would want to have my tobacco depending on learning how to grow tobacco under castaway conditions.

Remember the hard time Tom Hanks had? What was the name for his volleyball surrogate?