Dads & birthdays

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Fox

Reaction score
Just found out last nite that my Dad has cancer. The doc says we caught it really early so they have high hopes of beating it. My Dad is a fighter and he's trying to stay upbeat about it. I'm trying to mirror his attitude and not bring him down about it but the truth is I'm terrified. I still need the old man. I don't know how to raise my own boy without his help and guidance. This has been a tough week. Turning 30 on Sunday and my wife wants to make a big deal about it, friends and parties and such... I just wanna drink 'shine and forget for awhile. Not really in a partying mood this year, but I don't wanna hurt her feelings or make her feel bad either. I guess I just kinda feel lost right now.

I'm sorry to hear this brother. Stay strong and may the good Lord be there for you and your family.

Sorry to hear this Nick. I went through the same thing in my 30's.

Nick Fox":t8u24o4j said:
Just found out last nite that my Dad has cancer. The doc says we caught it really early so they have high hopes of beating it. My Dad is a fighter and he's trying to stay upbeat about it. I'm trying to mirror his attitude and not bring him down about it but the truth is I'm terrified. I still need the old man. I don't know how to raise my own boy without his help and guidance. This has been a tough week. Turning 30 on Sunday and my wife wants to make a big deal about it, friends and parties and such... I just wanna drink 'shine and forget for awhile. Not really in a partying mood this year, but I don't wanna hurt her feelings or make her feel bad either. I guess I just kinda feel lost right now.
I know how you must be felling but, you need to stay your strongest now, for your Dad and your family.
There's no time for self pity or feeling down. Remember that what ever your feeling your family and everyone else around you will feel too and you need to hold things together.
Our prayers are with you and your Dad. If he's a tough enough ole bird I'm sure with the help of your strength he'll be just fine. If your gona have a drink, have a drink to his health and not to drown sorrow.

Cartaphilus":09l8emmk said:
I know how you must be felling but, you need to stay your strongest now, for your Dad and your family.
There's no time for self pity or feeling down. Remember that what ever your feeling your family and everyone else around you will feel too and you need to hold things together.
Our prayers are with you and your Dad. If he's a tough enough ole bird I'm sure with the help of your strength he'll be just fine. If your gona have a drink, have a drink to his health and not to drown sorrow.
Cart nailed it.  Good advice.

Most distressing news Nick. Keep your spirits up and be there for your family. More than a few of us have been through similar experiences. Feel free to come looking for moral support.

Jim

Thanks guys. He's got an appointment Tuesday for a biopsy to find out what type of lymphoma he has. Once they have the results, they will be able to determine what type of treatment will work best. Tomorrow's appointment is to change his pacemaker. That's how they found out. He had x-rays to make sure the wires weren't damaged and they noticed "abnormalities."
Also, last night my sister went to the hospital with abdominal pain. Turns out she's got gallstones. They can't do anything for her because she's pregnant. They want to remove her gallbladder, but they have to wait until she has the baby. They said "tough it out," her baby isn't due to arrive until mid July.
just a messed up week I guess. When it rains... it pours. Thanks for being here Brothers. I'll keep you posted.

Prayers to you and your family! I lost my dad 1 1/2 years ago to cancer.

Positive thoughts and being strong for your dad and the rest of your family is what they need. Cart was 100% right. You already said he was a fighter, that's a big plus already.

Lost my dad to cancer when I was 15 years old...I feel ya.

My best to you and your family, and especially your dad.