dark-fired tobacco and latakia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumo bro

Reaction score
What is the difference between dark-fired tobacco and latakia? Aren't they both 'smoked' ? For example, Gawith & Hoggarth's Dark Flake Unscented...

"A very strong, but very cool smoke is the result of combining in equal proportions only Malawi Dark Fired Leaf and Indian dark air-cured leaf. No additional flavors. You can smell in this tobacco the smokey flavor of the dark fired leaf. "

Does latakia refer to a particular leaf (orientals) or the type of wood used to smoke it? I just ordered some G&H Dark Flake Unscented so I guess I will know a little more when it arrives in a few days.

If you have never smoked this type of tobacco before, proceed on a full stomach. Go slow. Pay attention that the green-gills or sweats don't sneak up on you.

GLP on latakia

I think the "fire-cured" is a VA variant that is first air-cured and then "smoked" (no pun intended) in a barn with open wood fires. Low sugar, high nicotine.

Buddy

GH uses a lot of the fire cured African tobacco. It is grown in nitrogen poor soil, and therefore is low in sugar and bite. It is typically high nicotine. You can taste/smell the smokey flavor, less in some, and more in some. Dark Flake Unscented is one of my favorites, good choice. It isn't as smokey as some of the others, probably because a light essence mutes it. Yep, the unscented is scented, just lightly.

As I understand it, the old Syrian Latakia was smoked over Syrian pine. At first, the Syrian govt put restrictions on pine harvesting, causing a moderate shortage. Then ensued political problems, and now I guess it is unavailable thru normal selling channels. Cyprian Latakia is now widely used. Don't know what type of wood they use for smoking, but think they also use some herbs to help with flavoring. My opinion, the Cyprian doesn't hold a candle to the old Syrian.

Smoker 99: Have you tried Mac Baren's HH Vintage Syrian? I don't think I ever smoked Syrian latakia. Are there other blends out there with Syrian latakia? Or has the supply been depleted?

Thee Oaks Syrian.....OMG a great blend. To know it is to love it.

fumo bro":8g1vnkbp said:
Smoker 99: Have you tried Mac Baren's HH Vintage Syrian? I don't think I ever smoked Syrian latakia. Are there other blends out there with Syrian latakia? Or has the supply been depleted?
I haven't smoked that one. Wilderness by McClelland has Syrian in it, and it is excellent. Reportedly, McClelland had their own stock of Syrian Latakia when the famous warehouse fire destroyed many other blender's supplies.

fumo bro, what is the avatar?

BTY, I smoke Mac Baren's HH Vintage Syrian a lot, but mostly blended with about 2/3 of various other tobaccos. I like the flavor of 100% HH Vintage Syrian, but it tends to present more tongue bite than can tolerate, thus the blending. Its definitely worth buying a pound of it to experiment with.

Steve

Smoker99":br4gxxuq said:
fumo bro":br4gxxuq said:
I haven't smoked that one. Wilderness by McClelland has Syrian in it, and it is excellent. Reportedly, McClelland had their own stock of Syrian Latakia when the famous warehouse fire destroyed many other blender's supplies.
Didn't know that until now. No wonder I like Wilderness so much!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

fumo bro":qjqectnm said:
It's about all I've been smoking, i stocked a couple 1 pound bags in advance of the discontinuation with the political climate of Syria.

Well, I am putting together an order based on the suggestions of my fellow Brothers of the Briar. So far, I have

Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian
McClelland Wilderness
McClelland Three Oaks Syrian

This brings up another question: What are the McClelland's "Club Blends?" Are they copies of blends no longer produced? There seem to be quite a few Club Blends that have Syrian latakia.

BTW Steve (sstodvictory) my avatar is the chemical structural-representation of nicotine. College wasn't a complete waste - I learned something! :cheers:

fumo bro, there are a number of other Syrian blends. I found 3 or 4 just within the McClelland offerings, also:

Solani Black and White

Dark fired usually refers to dark Burley that is cured over an open fire, but the leaf doesn't get anywhere near as saturated as Latakia and doesn't get as dark or smoky.
Syrian Latakia is made of a base tobacco called shek-al-bint, and it is smoked over a fire of Syrian Oak and herbs. Currently, there's little or no production of Latakia going on in Syria, and what little I've had access to in the last few years has been sub-par.
Cyprian Latakia is made from Smyrna, and is smoked over aromatic woods, like pine, and herbs.
Dark-fired Burley has quite a nicotine kick and is spicy and will get you in the back of the throat. Latakia has a moderate to low amount of nicotine, but a much more intensely smoky flavor and aroma.

Russ

Thanks Alfredo, I will put Solani's Black and White on my next order. I have smoked Solani's Aged Burley Flake and was quite impressed.

And thanks blendtobac for spelling it out for me. I knew that Latakia was a tobacco which was smoked but I didn't know what type of leaf that was used or the source of smoke. I imagine that the aroma from dark-fired burley can vary immensely depending on the type of wood used or if herbs have used.