Dating a Dunhill LB Shell Patent w/No Date Code

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaukatt

Reaction score
Is there any way to definitively date my LB Shell? It is a Shell with the following nomenclature:

LB, Dunhill Shell, Made in England, Patent No. 417574/34, S

The "S" is stamped on its side just at the shank and stem juncture. There is no date code after the patent number. There is a short horizontal line stamp between the stamping and the "S", as if there intended to be a date code, but no suffix. The nomenclature is as crisp as the day it was stamped so it was not buffed away.

Is there any way to date this pipe with any certainty? I was told by the seller, whom I trust, and is a friend, that it might be from 1941-42. I checked John Loring's book and he states that in the absence of a circled group stamp, which began in 1951 it more than likely was made between 1942-1951. Is there a way to pin down a single year based upon the present nomenclature?

Any ideas?

Lou

Ol'Dawg":v7mu5i9z said:
Have you looked through these guides?
R.D. Field's dating guide

Pipephil's dating guide

Good luck,
Jim
I consulted Dave's guide as well as Pipephil (Loring's book is pretty much the definitive source) and as far as I can tell it was made between 1941-1950. I was hoping there was a way to pin down a single year based upon the stamping but I think it cannot be done with any certainty.

Thank you for the input!

Lou...Is the date code 417574\34 or 417574/34? The former is dated (per the late Mr. Loring) to 1944; the latter to 1944-1951. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!!! FTRPLT

ftrplt":795thjl2 said:
Lou...Is the date code 417574\34 or 417574/34? The former is dated (per the late Mr. Loring) to 1944; the latter to 1944-1951. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!!! FTRPLT
Good catch! No, the slash is like so: /34 I saw that too in Mr. Loring's book but mine is a forward slash. I still think it can be placed in an earlier scope such as 1942 - 1950. It would appear by Mr. Loring's, and Dave Field's guides that the /34 stamp was first used in 1942, so it could have been made as early as '42 but had to have been made prior to 1951.

Thanks for the offerings!

Lou