Dating a Sir Walter Raleigh Tin.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreadgerbil

Reaction score
So, a friend of a friend is on an archaeological did and they came up with these two tins. They're having trouble dating them and my friend, who knows I am a pipe smoker, asked if I could help.
Now, the Half and Half could be from a wider period than they'd really like. The Raleigh piqued my interest because it's different from most of the ones I've seen before.
I haven't exhausted my sources by any means, but I've come up blank so far.
In my experience I haven't come across a Raleigh tin with that text on the bottom before.
"Especially prepared from the best grade of tobacco for the most particular smokers of pipe and cigarettes.
Brown and Williamson..."

I've asked them to get pictures of the back and info on any batch numbers that may be on there. Figured I'd throw them up here and see if any of you lot with more expertise than me have an idea, though.

ETA Pic:

Tins.png

I can't help you with Sir Wally, but the Half and Half tin is post-1939. Before that, they still had the Lucky Strike/Buckingham logos. Some time after that (I couldn't say when) the colors were changed from green over black to red over green.
Hope this helps.

Just an educated guess on my part, but I'd say they're both from the late 1940s to the late 1950s. I seem to recall that most pocket tins like those were replaced by soft foil packs at least by the early 1960s.

Funny you should ask this, BTW. I just posted some pics of a pre-'39 H&H tin in the Photo Gallery. :D

Dating a Sir Walter Raleigh Tin
looks like you're in Idaho. please make sure that's legal in your state before you do anything that might get you in trouble.

have a nice day.

doody.

LMAO. It took me a while to get that but it was totally worth the feeling like an idiot moment!

Update:

From the info I've managed to pull together we're looking at the Raleigh tin probably being early twenties to Late forties, but it could be up to 59. The Burley is definitely, as was posted on here, post 39 but too badly beat up to be any more positive than than.

Dreadgerbil":9xtgsi4t said:
The Burley is definitely, as was posted on here, post 39 but too badly beat up to be any more positive than than.
You've definitely got a green over black H&H tin there, but I'm having a helluva time trying to find out what year they changed the colors. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, DG.

I would have to agree about the SWR tin; those fonts, layout, colors and graphics look decidedly earlier than 1950s. I don't know much about tobacco tins, but I've spent a lot of time inadvertently staring at art, advertisement, architecture, packaging and signage (etc, etc) of things of the past.

Interesting side note: I find these kinds of tins all the time while out in the field for work. The reason? Mining claim notifications. This was one of the primary ways to post them, usually by nailing them right to a 4x4 post. Usually they're rusted through, but sometimes you can see what the old staker smoked (often Velvet). 8)