David Johnson smooth/rust

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstodvictory

Reaction score
As of this month, David Johnson (Ozark Mountain Briars) has ceased making pipes due to wood dust allergies. I own 6 or 7 of his pieces. David's work was right up there among the best of US pipe makers in my opinion, and I will greatly miss his output. He had an elegant, neoclassical style that was all his own. All of his pipes that I own are light, comfortable, attractive, and flawless smokers.

David states that his website will go down in mid June. If you are not familiar with his work, don't miss the chance to visit his gallery before it disappears from the web.

David Johnson's Gallery:
http://www.ozarkmountainbriars.com/pastgallery.htm

David Johnson's Home Page (click on the Workman, Tradesman & Craftsman links):
http://www.ozarkmountainbriars.com/

Here is one of my David Johnson pipes that I had not photographed until today. I'm not sure what to call this shape - its not quite a Bell, so I call it a "Candle Snuffer". David labels it a Dublin. The grade is "Tradesman".

johnson_smooth_candle_snuffer_1.jpg

johnson_smooth_candle_snuffer_2.jpg

johnson_smooth_candle_snuffer_3.jpg

johnson_smooth_candle_snuffer_4.jpg

johnson_smooth_candle_snuffer_5.jpg

Rustication on an otherwise smooth pipe usually doesn't do much for me, but I think this one was done quite nicely. I like that there are still smooth spots in the roughened area. Are you still shooting against the steering wheel?

Harlock999":e3tgh1rf said:
Are you still shooting against the steering wheel?
Yep...this time its a car floor mat draped between me and the wheel. At the time of purchase I did wonder if I'd like the partial rustication treatment, but it has grown on me.

Steve

sstodvictory":3myub8g1 said:
Harlock999":3myub8g1 said:
Are you still shooting against the steering wheel?
Yep...this time its a car floor mat draped between me and the wheel. At the time of purchase I did wonder if I'd like the partial rustication treatment, but it has grown on me.

Steve
Your floor mats are much cleaner than mine! Great shots, looking forward to more.

I was just gifted two Dave Johnson Pipes. Does anyone know of an email for him.
I'd like to tell him how great they are