DE Razor Care

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cigar2you

Reaction score
I i inherited a new Gillette DE razor from the 40's. I used it for the first time tonight. I have used a DE razor before so this may be a silly question. What do you recommend doing with the razor after shaving? Do I leave it on the vanity and let it dry, or do i take it apart?

Just let it sit out to dry. You wouldn't want to take it apart each time, as you run the risk of dulling the blade prematurely. Same reason that you never want to wipe the razor down after a shave, just rinse and shake it.

It's not a silly question at all. I have been using DE razors for a very long time, and I always open up and remove the blade, then run hot water over the razor and blade. I then wipe the razor dry and shake the blade to remove the water. If the razor or blade is left in the razor, a film builds and also the blade can rust. I use Merkur blades, and get seven days out of each. Mid week I might hit the blade a few licks on my straight razor strop. Thats just the way I do it. Find what works for you. I must warn you though, DE shaving will be as addictive as pipes. I wouldn't shave with anything else. Enjoy.

Ken