Dealer(s) taking advantage of the free market on RAT

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see it. Rich did nothing wrong he listed a bag of Penzance with a starting price of it's retail value. If people are stupid enough to bid a 27$ bag of tobacco this high then they deserve every ounce of it.

There was plenty of Penzance at Chicago. Some over-priced. Some at usual retail. I didn't purchase any.

HCraven":jj79ujof said:
I don't know who gets worked up enough about any tobacco to spend $100+ per bag, especially on something that's still being produced, no matter how limited the quantity. If I have that much trouble getting it, I don't smoke it. There are too many good tobaccos in the world to spend your whole budget on some white whale.
AMEN :cheers: WELL PUT brother :p :p

Lots to do about nothing... A guy can price his product and sell his product where he likes.. That's called Capitalism.

On the flip side if he prices it to high no-one buys it. That too is capitalism.

Much of the "hard-to-find" tobaccos are HTF because of the various forums creating runs on them.

Wet Dottle":4vq8erou said:
sisyphus":4vq8erou said:
Kyle Weiss":4vq8erou said:
Wet Dottle":4vq8erou said:
The funny thing is that, contrary to popular belief, Penzance is not that hard to obtain.
This is the truth. My local Tinder Box now can get 8oz bags once in a while...out the door cost, $42. :)
which is also robbery when mars, pnc and smokingpipes all sell the same bag for $23-25.
Yes, but the prices found at regular b&m stores are more along $30 to $35, before taxes and shipping.
Yep. Happy to pay a locally-owned franchise/business a few extra bucks to keep 'em open. Especially when on other days I can waltz in, grab a can of tea from the fridge in the back, sit down, watch a ball game for three hours, clean up after myself, thank them, and take off without spending a dime. It all works itself out in the end when it's good. :heart:

puros_bran":m7ylo6mh said:
Lots to do about nothing... A guy can price his product and sell his product where he likes.. That's called Capitalism.

On the flip side if he prices it to high no-one buys it. That too is capitalism.

I do agree although it does not give customers the warm and fuzzies. I wouldn't see a problem with a company sitting on tins for a few years and selling them at a premium. P&C does this.

puros_bran":m7ylo6mh said:
Much of the "hard-to-find" tobaccos are HTF because of the various forums creating runs on them.
Let's test this. We need a review thread on how awesome Smoker's Pride - Black Cav-N-Bag is.

I've been watching it happen for almost a decade now....

Besides it must be a product that has finite production limits... Folk make lbs and lbs of smokers pride every time they mow their yard.

Also just saying it's good doesn't cut it... You have to start rumors about product fires, government coupes, going out of business, or recipe changes...

A starting bid of $27.99, seems fine to me, if folk want to bid really high that's their look out I reckon, don't let it stress you out Buddy. ;)

I took a peek at the 4noggins Penzance on EBAY, the lister does mention it is being sold on consignment.

I think what some of you guys are overlooking, are the facts that.....

1- The value of the item is the collectible packaging, not the tobacco itself.
2- The value of the packaging is higher than the current retail price of the tobacco in the package.
3- While the package has never been opened, the tobacco inside is not for consumption, and
4- The collectible packaging is not currently available in stores.

We are talking a highly collectible foil bag of Penzance, which will most likely end up in a museum somewhere, after you and I have long ago taken a dirt nap! :lol:

Dutch":4q9b7y7x said:
I think what some of you guys are overlooking, are the facts that.....

1- The value of the item is the collectible packaging, not the tobacco itself.
2- The value of the packaging is higher than the current retail price of the tobacco in the package.
3- While the package has never been opened, the tobacco inside is not for consumption, and
4- The collectible packaging is not currently available in stores.

We are talking a highly collectible foil bag of Penzance, which will most likely end up in a museum somewhere, after you and I have long ago taken a dirt nap! :lol:
Best post of the thread!

Les,

I'm sure you're an intelligent man. But, next time you wish to slam a legitimate vendor selling on eBay, please read the listing first. Those bags of Penzance are being sold on Consignment.
I don't believe I need to explain the meaning of that.

I received 75 bags of Penzance a few weeks ago and it sold out in a matter of hours, on my website for $28.95 each. Price gouging......I don't think so. Fair price.....I do believe.

The best thing about auctions is that you never know what is going to happen. If someone is willing to pay a lot of money for an item, then that is his prerogative. An antique is worth what one is willing to pay for it, even though others think it too much.

I spent over 30 years in the Automobile business, going to auctions every week, and I can tell you that on every one of those weeks, I left that auction in amazement. There was always one car that sold for "stupid" money. But, the buyer wanted it and was willing to pay it.

So be it. It's 6AM and I am trying not to get worked up by a few of you guys who are crucifying me. It's usually the ones that don't do business with me anyway and don't know me or my business scruples. Please, continue to not do business with me. Thank goodness 99% of the Brothers of Briar are great guys and I would give them the shirt off my back.

Rich Gottlieb
4noggins.com

Since October I've done about $5000.00 of business with 4noggins. I chose to do the bulk of my business with Rich rather than Smokingpipes as they have become a colossus bestriding the pipe world; I thought I'd give my business to a more modest concern, and I'm very glad I did. He also gave all BoB members a 10% discount; using it I've saved about $500.00.

Rich has been a pleasure to work with and has gone out of his way to order tobacco in amounts not on hand and items that he doesn't carry. Rich is a class act and I recommend him without reservation.

alfredo_buscatti":06gsdofl said:
Since October I've done about $5000.00 of business with 4noggins. I chose to do the bulk of my business with Rich rather than Smokingpipes as they have become a colossus bestriding the pipe world; I thought I'd give my business to a more modest concern, and I'm very glad I did. He also gave all BoB members a 10% discount; using it I've saved about $500.00.

Rich has been a pleasure to work with and has gone out of his way to order tobacco in amounts not on hand and items that he doesn't carry. Rich is a class act and I recommend him without reservation.
I've had the same experience. I have picked up about 45 lbs during that same period.

My apologies to Rich for not reading the listing. There has been so much price gouging by vendors of Esoterica it's a sore subject and I didn't give him the benefit of the doubt.

So... no conspiracy?

Mount up, Men! On to the next thread!!!

klerp klerp... klerp klerp... klerp klerp...

Hereward":6lrc60mo said:
So... no conspiracy?

Mount up, Men! On to the next thread!!!

klerp klerp... klerp klerp... klerp klerp...
It's ALWAYS a conspiracy, don't you listen to talk radio? EVERYTHING is a conspiracy :twisted: It's just now on to the next one :twisted: :twisted:

HCraven":7d84e3zy said:
Wet Dottle":7d84e3zy said:
On the subject of 4noggins, it may be that Rich is selling the tobacco for a customer. He does sell tobacco on consignment...
I've heard this too. No sense crucifying Rich for helping a customer move his goods. Pipestud does the same thing, but no one bags on him, nor should they.

I don't know who gets worked up enough about any tobacco to spend $100+ per bag, especially on something that's still being produced, no matter how limited the quantity. If I have that much trouble getting it, I don't smoke it. There are too many good tobaccos in the world to spend your whole budget on some white whale.
Good points and all true...every last one of them.

alfredo_buscatti":zms8m31u said:

I gotta second this. Not the money part. Hell fire and damnation...if I had $500.00 I'd tuck it under my pillow and sit up all night guarding it. $5000.00? For that kinda green I'd go under water and fry fish.

Always had good experiences with 4noggins.

Status
Not open for further replies.