Dealing with Handmade Pipe indecision...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
Heya All,

My next pipe purchase will be a Boswell Wizard pipe. I was fortunate enough to have Dan send me pictures of two that he has available. The price is right and BOTH look great, except I like some things on one pipe that I wish were on the other.
Then I hit an unsmoked 2010 Boswell wizard pipe being sold second hand on eBay. Its gorgeous and the one I prefer over the three. However, I contacted the sellar to get the reserve price and the cost would be substantially more than the pipes being offered directly from Boswell. Had all three pipes been the same price, I would go straight for the eBay pipe, and I'm not sure which of the two other pipes I would choose from JM.
I'm fortunate to have this choice and knowing that the next wizard pipe may not show up for who knows how long, or may not look the way I'd like.

How would you deal with indecision on handmade pipes?

I look at pipes as costing between 20 and 30 cents a bowl over their lifetime, so I always buy the pipe I will enjoy most.

What's so great about the eBay pipe, ie, why is it so much more? If the guy is just flipping it at a profit I would avoid it just on principle, but that's just me.

Absolutely. Do enough homework to develop a sense of what stuff is worth, and why. And from whom.

Smokingpipes charges (and gets) more because they're the uptown place with a huge customer base. Guys like Pipestud, on "rep."

Joe Shmoe figures he's going to demand those prices for his stuff on fleabay ; usually, he crashes & burns. As he should. Because there is no set value -- only base value (base level to a dealer for re-sale, somewhat more to a smoker who wants it) plus the surcharge for dealing with a Big Deal outfit. Same reason Macy's gets more for stuff than some place in Brooklyn can. That surcharge is, pretty much, earned by selection (quality and quantity), track record, delivering consistent quality and fair dealing. That rep brings in the high-rollers who just want what they want, supporting the premium price levels.

You could do a LOT worse than to check Pulvers' Briar and Viking Pipes every week or so. They're great places to learn which end is the hole in the ground re. pipes.

:face:

Yak":ux3c80vv said:
Absolutely. Do enough homework to develop a sense of what stuff is worth, and why. And from whom.

Smokingpipes charges (and gets) more because they're the uptown place with a huge customer base. Guys like Pipestud, on "rep."

Joe Shmoe figures he's going to demand those prices for his stuff on fleabay ; usually, he crashes & burns. As he should. Because there is no set value -- only base value (base level to a dealer for re-sale, somewhat more to a smoker who wants it) plus the surcharge for dealing with a Big Deal outfit. Same reason Macy's gets more for stuff than some place in Brooklyn can. That surcharge is, pretty much, earned by selection (quality and quantity), track record, delivering consistent quality and fair dealing. That rep brings in the high-rollers who just want what they want, supporting the premium price levels.

You could do a LOT worse than to check Pulvers' Briar and Viking Pipes every week or so. They're great places to learn which end is the hole in the ground re. pipes.

:face:
Wise advice from bro Yak.

;)

Cheers,

RR

Having been down this same road awhile back in regards to looking for a Boswell Wizard, I know what you are going through.

I liken my pipe hunting to the three pipes scenario as in ones not this, ones not that and this one is just what I wanted.

If the two from Dan are close but no cigar and the one from Ebay (which I just checked out) is it but the price seems high then "pass" and wait.

Then again, the thing to ask yourself also is how much more is the one on Ebay compared to the two from Dan? The reason I ask is that Ive seen Wizard prices vary depending on style, finish and size etc (each one is going to cost a little or a lot more because of this). Case in point: if memory serves me right, the Wizard I bought directly from Dan after he sent me pics of it cost a little less then the one on Ebay.

Afterwards, Ive seen them on his site for much less but in my opinion" not as "nice" as mine so... Its a "trade off".

However, if you really like the one on Ebay but its still to much in your eyes, maybe copy some pics of it from the site and then send them to Dan and ask him how much it would cost to have him make one just like it or with your "specific" ideas I.E. a lighter stain or?

You may find out the price he gives and the one on Ebay are close or very far apart :D

Hope this helps a little with your decision/s and good luck.

And just know that the journey and hunt will be worth it in the end!

Ex: Below are the exact pics Dan sent me of the Wizard I was searching for (it was def worth the wait!)

boswel10.jpg
[/url][/img]

boswel11.jpg
[/url][/img]

So, the relisting dropped the price considerably....did you manage to snag it?