Debating Trying a Meerschaum - Need Some Brotherly Advice!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Doody

Reaction score
So I've got half a dozen briar pipes of varying sizes and shapes. Enjoying them all!

I feel like maybe I should try a meerschaum next, but I'm ignorant. Normally I'd just go get an affordable one (cut from a block, not the pressed stuff) and see what I think.

However, I've done a (tiny) bit of research that says these meerschaums require a zillion smokes before they really shine. Since I'm not generally a patient kinda guy, that idea turns me off.

So I'm eager to get some advice from the brothers here as to whether I'm being a moron or not :) .

Please help!

Many thanks,
Doody

Ive got 3 meerschaums and i never had to go through a break in period in terms of getting the best smoke out of them. Im sure what youve heard might not be false im just saying i never noticed much of a difference. I prefer briars but to me meerschaums are way less maintanence

I really enjoy my meers for smoking at home. Not as much, when I am on the go, because they are much more fragile than briar.

I especially like them for smoking any blend that tends to burn a bit hot, since there is no chance of a burnout or spiderweb with a meer.

I wouldn't want a meer to be my only pipe, but having at least one or two in regular rotation is really nice!

I recommend you give them a go. I do not agree that you need to build cake in a meer like briar. I keep my meer bowl clean by using a pipe cleaner within the bowl after each smoke. It is my pipe for giving new tobaccos a chance to shine. I just have a plain meer standard pipe shape, not a figure meer. You don't have to go all fancy, but can if you want.

You don't build a cake in meers, you clean after every smoke to make sure you do not build a cake. I have read of people who just use a pipe cleaner to people who actually use a slightly damp cloth followed by a dry cloth after each smoke to ensure cake does not build. The million smokes is about coloring the outside of the meer not about the actual smoking qualities of the pipe. It takes forever for meers to color on the outside, there are actually meer coloring contests at some pipe shows. IMO, everyone whould have at least one meer in their collection. Hope that helps.

kaiser83":4i8ccaqy said:
You don't build a cake in meers, you clean after every smoke to make sure you do not build a cake. I have read of people who just use a pipe cleaner to people who actually use a slightly damp cloth followed by a dry cloth after each smoke to ensure cake does not build. The million smokes is about coloring the outside of the meer not about the actual smoking qualities of the pipe. It takes forever for meers to color on the outside, there are actually meer coloring contests at some pipe shows. IMO, everyone whould have at least one meer in their collection. Hope that helps.
A few months ago, I took this meer and placed it in a small tupperware style container. Every morning I have a cigar with my coffee. As I smoked my cigar, I would periodically crack the lid, and blow the container full of smoke, and quickly snap the lid shut. After about 4 months, she has colored in nicely, and I don't have to worry about the oils from my skin preventing the pipe coloring from the inside out.

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

Cool! That meer looks like it's been around for a long time and been smoked regularly.

I'm one of the odd balls that believes one of the documents posted on one of Turkish meer web sites about letting a
thin cake build in a meer because it helps the coloration of the pipe. So far the one I'm trying it out with hasn't cracked
but it's a thin cake and I keep it that way. My other meers have no cake and haven't cracked either. The one with the thin
cake does seem to be coloring a little faster.

I rekkin time will tell.

williamcharles":m16ilqo8 said:
Cool! That meer looks like it's been around for a long time and been smoked regularly.

I'm one of the odd balls that believes one of the documents posted on one of Turkish meer web sites about letting a
thin cake build in a meer because it helps the coloration of the pipe. So far the one I'm trying it out with hasn't cracked
but it's a thin cake and I keep it that way. My other meers have no cake and haven't cracked either. The one with the thin
cake does seem to be coloring a little faster.

I rekkin time will tell.
I've three meers that I've smoked since new for over 30 years now and I lhave let them build a thin ( about a dime thickness) layer of cake and had NO problem with them cracking or really effecting the smoking properties of them. I don't smoke them as much as my briars, mainly as the size and shape of them really demand a "sit-down" smoking session and they have started to colour nicely over the past decade. They would probably color faster and more if I smoked them more often. If you are an "instant gratification" 21st century kinda guy, don't get a meer, it's a true 18th century, slow kinda pipe, meant for decades of use and appreciation :p

My meerschaum cannot compare to the image the one posted by "Dutch". That is the neatest coloring I have ever seen. The meerschaum is a great smoke and not ghosting. A nice dry smoke and they are works of art, treat yourself and get one. I am certain you will enjoy.

Stinger

1. No cake.

2. It's a natural material, let it color on it's own, at it's own pace (although Dutch's does look pretty cool).

3. Don't go too cheap. Too many inexpensive meers have horrible stems with crappy drilling (in the stem, not the merschaum itself) and the damned thing won't smoke well and will frustrate you. An IMP from smokingpipes dot com would be a wise place to start.

I have two, an IMP bent ball and a Sultan bent billiard that my daughter got me when she was in the middle east. I enjoy them both. They do smoke differently than briar. To me they mute the sharper edges and deeper notes in many blends.

Dutch":di12lbhx said:
A few months ago, I took this meer and placed it in a small tupperware style container. Every morning I have a cigar with my coffee. As I smoked my cigar, I would periodically crack the lid, and blow the container full of smoke, and quickly snap the lid shut. After about 4 months, she has colored in nicely, and I don't have to worry about the oils from my skin preventing the pipe coloring from the inside out.
That is the nicest meer patina I've ever seen, and on that carve especially it looks great.

Steve

I am kind of keen to the ones on this site http://meerschaummerchant.com/c-244-nude.aspx and honestly think one of those will be my next meer despite their....uh explicitness.

Another site I have found is http://www.meerschaummarket.com/servlet/StoreFront but I have no experience ordering with them.

I ordered http://www.meerschaumstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SX010 and found their 7-21 day carving timeline carving timeline to be way off. It took about 3 months for my pipe to finally arrive. It does appear they have removed that claim from their website completely but I would sway away from them due to their lengthly order turn around and the lack of customer service when you do email them.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I am currently coloring in this figural meer carved as Lucifer. I will post finished pics sometime this fall.

MeerschaumDevilsHead-1.jpg

MeerschaumDevilsHead-2.jpg

MeerschaumDevilsHead-3.jpg

MeerschaumDevilsHead-6.jpg

Puff Daddy":8eul69ud said:
1. No cake.

2. It's a natural material, let it color on it's own, at it's own pace (although Dutch's does look pretty cool).

3. Don't go too cheap. Too many inexpensive meers have horrible stems with crappy drilling (in the stem, not the merschaum itself) and the damned thing won't smoke well and will frustrate you. An IMP from smokingpipes dot com would be a wise place to start.

I have two, an IMP bent ball and a Sultan bent billiard that my daughter got me when she was in the middle east. I enjoy them both. They do smoke differently than briar. To me they mute the sharper edges and deeper notes in many blends.
Terrific advice, especially #3.
If you start with a crappy Meer, you could be turned off of em.
I have two each of Baki, IMP and Altinok.
I can highly recommend them.

Just ran across this site http://www.meerschaumpipemaster.com/index.html. Y'all have me wanting more meerschaums again darn it :evil: . If nothing else the links at the top of their page has some decent info on the carving and origins or meerschaum. There is another thread on the forum that has a video of the mining process of meerschaum that was darned interesting.

I've got an Eagle Claw Meer from CAO - had it since the early 90's. I've never let a cake form in it either. I was told by an old-timer that if you build a cake, it'll still be fine but won't color as quickly or as nicely. Another reason I was told not to let a cake form in a Meer is because of Ghosting.

Pay your money and take your chance, like anything else. But it's worked for me. I'll try to get a pic of it up soon. Of course it might be a while due to the piles of rubble and debris from the recent Bombing! :D

i love you guys!

:)

thx for the advice. i'll take a plunge and see what happens!

xoxo,
doody

I would recommend Baki as well - really the top of the line in regards to fine smoking qualities - truly unbeatable smoking machines...

And thanks for that info on coloring meers - ill be putting my morning cigars to better use from now on :)

All three of my meers are traditional shapes -- an apple, a billiard and a small bent apple. The carved lion's heads etc. just don't have much appeal for me. They look heavy and unbalanced. Saw one meer carved like a cutey's nude torso that was intriguing. Might have been hard tp 'splain on the home front. "But it reminds me of you, dear."

Hermit":v2lyend2 said:
Puff Daddy":v2lyend2 said:
1. No cake.

Terrific advice, especially #3.
If you start with a crappy Meer, you could be turned off of em.
I have two each of Baki, IMP and Altinok.
I can highly recommend them.
I only have one meer, an IMP from smokingpipes.com, because these guys suggested it's where I start, too. For the price, I believe it's unbeatable.

8)