Deep flavor without being strong?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyS

Reaction score
Easy on the newbie now. :D Are there pipe tobaccos (or blends) capable of having deep, rich flavor while not being strong in nicotine. I've only smoked a few blends since starting my pipe adventure last week. They were all custom blends from Smoker's Haven in Metuchen, NJ. I used to herf cigars and it seemed to me the maduros or oscuros usually blew my head off but had the most flavor. Does it need to be this way with pipe tobacco?

There are plenty of blends out there that can kick your butt, but there are some darn smooth blends too. What types of tobacco are you looking to get advice about? Virginias, Aros, etc.? Are you opposed to latakia blends or like them? Starting off I recommend McClelland Frog Morton to everyone. Dan tobacco also has one called Milonga that is a Va/Aro that is darn good. GL pease has tons of awesome tobacco's people love Embarcadero, Sextant, and many others by him. Take a look through some of the threads in here and read reviews to see what you might enjoy, that is what I have done mostly and it hasn't failed yet.

I found trying to find a flavorful tobacco without the nicotine a fruitless effort. All of the stuff that tasted the way I expected it to taste had a moderate to high nicotine content--so, I just smoked the tobacco in smaller bowls until I got used to it. Then I saved the smaller bowls for the stuff that really will make your head spin.

So there's my advice--small pipes, more choices. Oh, and smoke slower, and put the pipe down more often in between puffs, too.

8)

Good points Kyle. I am on BoB while I smoke 90% of the time so I type and smoke which leads to slower smokes. Take time and try to taste every flavor. Keep a log of which toby does best in which pipe for future referencing. You will find those that you love by experimenting.

kaiser83":l8ejbrh9 said:
There are plenty of blends out there that can kick your butt, but there are some darn smooth blends too. What types of tobacco are you looking to get advice about? Virginias, Aros, etc.? Are you opposed to latakia blends or like them? Starting off I recommend McClelland Frog Morton to everyone. Dan tobacco also has one called Milonga that is a Va/Aro that is darn good. GL pease has tons of awesome tobacco's people love Embarcadero, Sextant, and many others by him. Take a look through some of the threads in here and read reviews to see what you might enjoy, that is what I have done mostly and it hasn't failed yet.
Kaiser, I've no idea what I'm looking for. :oops: :lol: Maybe I'm still too green on this journey to know. I think you're logging idea is a good one. I'll start that tonight.

Kyle, good idea on the small bowls for the stronger stuff!

Lol no worries brother. Seriously look through the the Tobacco Jar here and read reviews. If one of the reviews piques your interest grab a sample or a tin. If you find you don't particularly like you can start tailoring your tastes. I have a ton of blends I am going through so don't feel constrained by a certain type. I smoke a bit of everything and find enjoyment in most of them. I have only really disliked one so far. tobaccoreviews.com will give you opinions on most tobaccos, but I still end up right back here on BoB reading. The guys here do a good job on their reviews. I am a tobacco....uh....slut dabbling around in a bit of everything, while some others will find "their blend(s)" and stick to them. Have fun and experiment, you will find your niche. Sorry if that doesn't help much.

TonyS":hezvd6yl said:
Easy on the newbie now. :D Are there pipe tobaccos (or blends) capable of having deep, rich flavor while not being strong in nicotine. I've only smoked a few blends since starting my pipe adventure last week. They were all custom blends from Smoker's Haven in Metuchen, NJ. I used to herf cigars and it seemed to me the maduros or oscuros usually blew my head off but had the most flavor. Does it need to be this way with pipe tobacco?
Having smoked cigars for almost as long as I've smoked pipes, I've NEVER found Maduro wrapped ones terribly strong but they did have lots of flavor for sure! Given that, all I could advise is to try and be as methodical as you could be and work your way through some "types" of blends/mixtures, such as Straight Va's, maybe two or three blends, THEN work into some Burley based blends. again, two or three etc, etc, giving each TYPE at least a 50g tins worth ( if you are encouraged by it's initial taste and smoking qualities). Try these in as many types of pipes as you have available and pay attention to the smoking qualities of each as you go. I would stay away from the "pinball" method of trying the latest and greatest as is reviewed here as this will only get you to begin to question more. This is something that you can do for the rest of your life so ther is NO HURRY to get all in right now :p Take your time, and go about it with some sort of method and make some notes and most importantly, ENJOY yourself !! :p

Maybe something like GLP Key Largo or Storm Front might be the ticket...I always thought mixtures that had cigar leaf in 'em were a bit tamer and mellower, anyway, but packed with good, rich flavor.

Kaiser, you're right about the forum/smoking thing. It's funny how one can concentrate a too much on smoking, worrying about keeping everything just-so and then end up with various results, but the less you worry about it and just let it happen, the better it gets. 8)

monbla256":a5pj06x4 said:
TonyS":a5pj06x4 said:
Having smoked cigars for almost as long as I've smoked pipes, I've NEVER found Maduro wrapped ones terribly strong but they did have lots of flavor for sure! Given that, all I could advise is to try and be as methodical as you could be and work your way through some "types" of blends/mixtures, such as Straight Va's, maybe two or three blends, THEN work into some Burley based blends. again, two or three etc, etc, giving each TYPE at least a 50g tins worth ( if you are encouraged by it's initial taste and smoking qualities). Try these in as many types of pipes as you have available and pay attention to the smoking qualities of each as you go. I would stay away from the "pinball" method of trying the latest and greatest as is reviewed here as this will only get you to begin to question more. This is something that you can do for the rest of your life so ther is NO HURRY to get all in right now :p Take your time, and go about it with some sort of method and make some notes and most importantly, ENJOY yourself !! :p

Great concise advice.

Cheers,

RR

I find medium strength blends to be the most enjoyable. You don't need an overwhelmingly strong baccy to get a round and flavorful smoke. In fact, I feel that some of the strongest blends aren't very tasty at all, as if they substituted flavor to free up space for a baseball bat to the face.

You may want to give Solani Aged Burley Flake a try. Now word of caution, it has nicotine and there's probably plenty of it in there. However, I am among the nicotine impaired and I searched high and low for a deep tasting blend with low nic. I tend to agree with Kyle that the two attributes don't go hand in hand. Instead, it pays to change your approach. Smoke slow, and pace yourself with the bigger nic blends and you'll be okay and you'll gain some good technique on the way while keeping your pipe on the cooler side while smoking it. Now back to Solani ABF, this one has never kicked my arse and it's a deep blend, one that I think is a benchmark in its class.

I would recommend Peterson's Irish Whiskey.

It has a great tobacco flavor with only a very mild flavoring. You get the true depth and complexity of the blend, but it's not overly sweet and the tobacco flavor shines through with flying colors. It's not too strong in the Vitamin N category, nor it is a very strong tobacco.

I have a high tolerance for nicotine, so I don't know how Robt McConnell Maduro might impact you, but it's a full strength dark Virginia with a touch of Perique & Navy rum. The tin note is very deep and heady, and the taste is full, rounded, and rich.

kaiser83":y69d0ikc said:
........ I have a ton of blends I am going through so don't feel constrained by a certain type. I smoke a bit of everything and find enjoyment in most of them. I have only really disliked one so far.......
Which blend did you find nasty?

Fraternally

Jers

Jers":3tsgy5m3 said:
kaiser83":3tsgy5m3 said:
........ I have a ton of blends I am going through so don't feel constrained by a certain type. I smoke a bit of everything and find enjoyment in most of them. I have only really disliked one so far.......
Which blend did you find nasty?

Fraternally

Jers
Publicly, it doesn't matter, that way people can form their own opinions about all tobaccos without my thoughts clouding judgement.

TonyS":ws2rbwvb said:
I've been to Smokers Haven, they didn't have great choices in pipe tobacco. In fact last year, the new owner knew zip about pipes in general. Hopefully he boned up and added to his inventory. I recommend Dunhill MM965. Nice and smokey, with a mild amount of latakia. I am a big nic-wimp and learned to avoid most Samuel-Gawith blends. I remember the shop having a black cavendish, I bought a few ounces and it wasn't bad.

I just remembered my visit - the young proprietor offered me some screens. I laughed and told him true pipe smokers don't use those kind of accessories....He seemed interested in learning about pipes.

McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro always seemed like a medium bodied, fairly full flavored smoke with a cigar note and not too high on the nicotine level. Most other cigar leaf blends I've tried delivered a pretty substantial nic hit. Taste wise I love GL Pease Robusto, especially with a few years of age on the tin, but I have to smoke it in small doses as it packs a punch.

Since you're a fan of cigars, the two blends that I find tastiest that have cigar leaf are:

- Storm Front (already mentioned by Kyle)

and

- VA Spice

The former has a white cube burley base while the latter is VA.