Deerstalker question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I was smoking a pipe last night that some of my friends deemed a Sherlock Holmes style pipe (it was more of a horn than a calabash though).

So the question came up, why don't I wear a Sherlock Holmes hat when I smoke my pipes (for the same reason I don't wear a Turban when I smoke a Hookah!)?

Now, I'm looking around for one. My question:

What was the original Deerstalker made of?

I know my Western and Fedora hats are Felt (beaver or rabbit), were these cloth though? Cause if they were wool they will be too hot to wear in south Texas.

It was probably wool tweed. With the front-and-back bills and flaps, it anticipates cold and rainy weather, and you'd want a fabric that keeps its warmth even wet.

As the name suggests, the deerstalker is a hunting cap, and Holmes would have only worn it when outdoors in the country (or maybe during very severe weather.) Not to say that the classic illustration is wrong, only that it portrays him on one of his adventures that took him outside the city.

Don't let the wool discourage you from getting one--wear it hunting or camping when the chill sets in a little.

used to have one - still do somewhere - a Kangol - wool tweed, as the man has said...

let us know if you find a nice one!

Guys, it's 70 degrees in the winter here. Wool is a no-no. Fat guys incinerate if we wear wool. I will need beaver or rabbit.

Ah - you are looking for the forum for Daniel Boone, not Sherlock Holmes - shoulda made that left at Albuquerque...

That Lock&Co hat's wool looks light...It could be okay when it's not actually cold out.

niles":wqvr6b6o said:
That Lock&Co hat's wool looks light...It could be okay when it's not actually cold out.
The big thing is that it's not quilted on the inside. That's where they really get hot.

True'dat - the Kangol was quilted and it was def. not meant for warmer wear...

I have a brown one & a gray one that I love wearing.
Just built up enough nerve to smoke a bent stem while
wearing them.

My sister brought me one home from England that I've worn, off and on, for 25 years.

Guys . . . Baseball Caps used to be made of wool.

I wore them when I was a kid. When it was 95 degrees.

Uniforms were thick, heavy flannel. They absorbed perspiration.

:face:

In the seventies I had one made of denim. It was pretty cool, wore it during the summer, no problem. O.K., I looked a little funny to most folks, but...who cares?