Defining Navy Flake and Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1037

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I really enjoy the history of pipe smoking, and feel that it feeds into the material culture (aka PAD) and ritual of our pastime. Most blenders have a Navy flake or slice or blend of some sort and this really appeals to me. However most are completely different. Rum seems to be the common thread, hearkening back to sailors packing tobacco in rum barrels (rum being a staple on all ships). I want to try C&D's Blockade Runner, and MacBaren's Plumcake seems to be a qualifying blend. Any other favorites? Is there any other qualifier that I am missing?

jefe1037":swk6cfln said:
I really enjoy the history of pipe smoking, and feel that it feeds into the material culture (aka PAD) and ritual of our pastime. Most blenders have a Navy flake or slice or blend of some sort and this really appeals to me. However most are completely different. Rum seems to be the common thread, hearkening back to sailors packing tobacco in rum barrels (rum being a staple on all ships). I want to try C&D's Blockade Runner, and MacBaren's Plumcake seems to be a qualifying blend. Any other favorites? Is there any other qualifier that I am missing?
Stokkebye Luxury Navy flake
Samuel Gawith Navy flake
Mac Baren Navy flake
Escudo Navy De Luxe (not sure Why it's navy as it seems to lack the rum)
And my favorite Fribourg and Treyer Special Brown flake

Also there was a thread a few months back about what exactly is a navy flake/blend

As far as I've been able to determine GH Sweet Rum Twist is the closest thing to a real navy tobacco on the market today.
I read somewhere that the rum wasn't added to a twist to improve flavor. The article I read stated that the rum was added to keep bugs away from the twists.
Who knows the truth today? All we can do is speculate.
I've also heard that a tobacco needs rum in order to qualify as a navy tobacco but many of the so called navy tobaccos have no rum in them.
I've also heard of navy cut tobacco. Flake? Sliced twist? Who knows what it actually was?
I like GH Sweet Rum Twist (contains rum), Stokkebye Lux. Navy Flake (no rum) and SG Navy Flake (supposed to contain rum).

McClelland's Navy Cavendish is my fave. Tasty Virginias with a nice Rum note in the background. tasty stuff :p

monbla256":m8o2bzw3 said:
McClelland's Navy Cavendish is my fave. Tasty Virginias with a nice Rum note in the background. tasty stuff :p
That's right! How could I forget McC's Navy Cav? :sleep: :study:

monbla256":qj59i3ti said:

Just received a tin in a recent order, have been looking forward to trying it (just need to get through an open tin or two before opening a new one) - really does sound like one tasty tobacco. Now with Monbla’s endorsement the wait the will be even harder... :bounce:

kieveryuu":whiggyvw said:
,,, (just need to get through an open tin or two before opening a new one),,, -
Sounds like you're well organized and disciplined,,,,,,it's OK, we all have our faults,,, :p

Blockade Runner: Two thumbs up from me! I'm really liking this lately. Possibly my new favorite navy blend.
Whoa, deja vu. Isn't this where Kyle comes in and we have our way with your thread? Something about anime, nazis, and cats on lsd?
Seriously, B-R's good stuff in my book. Probably the rummiest I've had that doesn't taste like artificially rum-flavored candy.
MacB's navy flake, and I may catch hell for saying this, seems a lot like Plumcake flake to me. I'm working my way through a tin of Navy Flake now, trying different variations of bowl and packing and dryness. I want to like it, but I'm just not making the connection that everyone else seems to make. Then again, if you like Plumcake, You'll likely do better than I have.
If your navy sails to the Eastern Mediterranean, Sam Gawith Navy Flake has Latikia in it. Good Stuff.

I've been working on a tin of plumcake. It has been a "palate cleanser" for me.... its just a little smokier than the Navy Flake, and a little less "rummy." Mostly I was wondering if there was a "rule" that everyone follows, but as with most other blends, there is little collaboration in re: labeling of styles and flavors. Insert reference to "what is english?, what is balkan? etc."

If kyle doesnt turn this thread silly soon, I will summon that guy that posts three pages of gibberish to meet the status quo.

jefe1037":di6ivis8 said:
If kyle doesnt turn this thread silly soon, I will summon that guy that posts three pages of gibberish to meet the status quo.
You mean the ghost of James Joyce? :p
As I understand it, rum is the signature of navy blends. I suppose Escudo is the exception that proves the rule. Maybe Escudo's just so good nobody wants to argue with them. I suppose once upon a time navy tabac was all rope-spun west indies va soaked in rum, which would make the latakia navies non-traditional, but nowadays rum seems to be the sole defining characteristic.

Yeah, I'll just start muckin' things up on command. That'll work. Sure. :lol: It's an art form and matter of balance, after all. 8)

In any case, I noted on my thread about SG's Navy Flake there's a lot of "Navy" so-named tobacco... such as McC's 2035 Dark Navy Flake--so I'm still wondering if it's just a name rather than just an inclusion of rum. Though, rum helps. :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

To me a Navy blend must have rum. A rum soaked rope is what I have read was the original Navy blend, but who knows.