Dentist

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
I went to the dentist today for the first time in 3 years. I thought that I was going to need a root canal, but ended up needing a cavity filled in a tooth that wasn't even bothering me. I got a cleaning while I was there and the woman remarked that my teeth had stains that wouldn't come off. I wonder what those are from? I hate the dentist, but it does feel good to have clean teeth. Who likes the dentist? Who hates the dentist? Any good stories?
Milan

I dislike the dentist. Root canal's suck. I don't go as often as I should, like most good men, if nothing's broke, I don't try to fix it.

Kinda like politicians;
I hate dentists, but I like my dentist.
I just tell em, forget about the stains,
I'm just gonna have more coffee
and a smoke when I leave here.

My soon to be mother-in-law (11 days) is a dental hygienist and the dentist she works for is my dentist. But he dips Cope as much as anyone else, so I don't catch much flak from him due to smoking and dipping. Still don't go as often as I should though :lol:

I have to go every six months or they double the amount they take out of pay check for the coverage (they make me go to the doctor and get blood work every year too). My dentist is pretty cool, he's in the Army and served in Iraq and Afghanistan, a plus in my book. He doesn't give me a hard time. He actually blames my staining on coffee - I drink it black and by the gallon. He harps more on flossing than anything else. (I floss every night, honest!)

Going to the Dentist doesn't bother me. I see him twice/yr for cleaning and X-Rays as needed. Just had an old filling replaced, and it "only" cost about $250. Guess that's not too bad as a Root Canal & Crown cost me about $1500 of my favorite dollars a while ago. No dental insurance either!!!

My Dentist is pretty laid back and cool, but does give me a lecture on smoking when I'm in there.

Cheers,

RR

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ythrdCsOFJU" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really like my dentist; I just don't like the prices. He's a family friend and a very nice guy with good technique and manner. Better he gets my dinero than someone I don't know, I suppose.

I was a total dental coward as a youth, but when I finally put mind over matter, I learned I have a stunning capacity for dental pain. If I stub my toe, I instantly turn into a big whining baby; hour-long extraction, no problem. It's given me a big reserve of hydrocodone tablets to save for special occasions dispose of as required by law.

I hate dentist they always tell me bad new wich leads to pain i dont smoke everyday so they never comment about stains i brush once a day so idk?

My childhood dentist was trained by medieval barbers so I learned early on to avoid them. Packing an absessed tooth with pterodactyl dung and moss wasn't impressing me. As it became necessary to visit one later in life I found a local torturer that had moved into town recently. My wife convinced me to go and the experience was quite tolerable. It seems new techniques have been developed not relying on chisels, pry bars and crosscut saws. Some substance called Novacaine has been discovered and I'd like to get the word out about it.

I don’t mine the Dentist. Excessive pipe smoking can cause severe staining and long term clinching can move and weaken teeth.

I hate the dentist. I hate the sound of the metal against my teeth and then they usually whine at me that I haven't gotten my wisdom teeth removed. The thing is, they don't bother me, so why would I want to submit myself to the pain and fiasco of getting them removed. Their way to get more money I suppose.

Just completed my first check & clean since starting to smoke a pipe. I had some staining, but they said it was from coffee. I shared I was a pipe smoker and they advised moving me back to six month check/cleans. My teeth were in good shape last year, so they said I could come annually. Insurance pays so I'll just see them twice a year. He said my gums, etc. were in great shape and to keep doing what I've been to keep them that way (lots of flossing, rinse with hydrogen-peroxide) He also suggested once a month brushing with baking soda to keep the staining down.

I'd developed irritation behind my upper teeth, and as it wouldn't go away even when I stopped smoking for 2 weeks (which hurt a lot more than the irritation!), I went to my dentist to have it checked out. I like him and he's worth a good listen. He examined me in about 15 seconds, took a step back and went into a 10 minute monolog about the dangers of tobacco; he saw no reason to biopsy the tissue. A friend of his who smoked died from oral cancer, and he told me about him, again, and he cited other case histories. He also said that tobacco use is a cause that accretes and that it may trigger at that next smoke you have, and you never know when that will be.

I thought about it and decided that if I get cancer, I get it, but as there are few things in my life that are meaningful, and smoking is, I'll not put it down.

But the experience was sobering. I wasn't upset that he said so much but rather admired it, his valiant effort to stave off what he perceives as my impending disaster.

Yes, but there again these days absolutely everything causes cancer. Just read the news and someone has a new case study. Seems to be one of the new bogiemen.

Not to dismiss out of hand the risks of smoking a pipe, but I feel that at the frequency I'm doing it is no cause for undue alarm. Cigarette smokers OTOH seem to have a much higher risk factor for all the reasons already known.

Yes, my Dentist also lectures me on smoking. I'm very tempted to point out that he's bordering on being morbidly obese, drinks too much (based on the stories he's told me), and the only exercise he gets is walking around the golf course once/week.

:silent:

There again he's just doing his job, he's a damn good Dentist, and I don't want to get into a pissing match. So I'll just shrug it off again and tell him like I always do that it's really no big deal and he shouldn't be concerned.

:afro:

Cheers,

RR

I hate dentists. They thrive on being bitches. I pay big them bucks to chew my ass out. I wish they would just do their job and shut up.

As a child, I had very fond memories. My dentist, a man with an excellent eye for talent, had managed to assemble an all female crew of dental assistants that would make Hugh Hefner proud.

I can remember going in for a routine cleaning, and when the tools were initially revved up, the sphincter factor was very high.

Shortly however, the highly skilled assistant would lean over me, placing her ample breasts against the side of my head. This technique seemed to alleviate all my concerns, and caused me to enjoy and relish the entire procedure.

He retired years ago, and I'm still searching for such a dentist with the business savvy necessary to alleviate my dental related anxieties. :santa:

Yeah... the boob on the side of the face is a nice touch and makes visiting the dentist a little easier. So the reason I orginally posted this was because I have a couple molars that are killing me. I thought that one would need a root canal based on my last visit. The dentist checked the teeth out and did x-rays, but found nothing wrong. I've known my dentist for 20 years and trust him, but man this sucks. My teeth are killing me, but there's nothing wrong? The teeth are located on the side of my mouth which I clench my pipe on. So... when smoking my pipes the smoke curls in directly over the teeth (both top and bottom) that are hurting. They are sensitive to hot and cold, air, hard or crunchy food... I mean I'm not able to do much. Does anyone know or have experience with their smoking causing teeth pain and discomfort? I'm going to hav to put the pipe up for a few days and maybe weeks to see if it goes away? I guess this is the only way to find out.
Cheers & Health,
Milan
:cry: