Des Moines, Iowa area B&M

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyxpipe

Reaction score
Is any one on here from the area or familiar with it? I just moved here recently and have yet to find a good B&M, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Johnny

Hi Johnny,

Unfortunately, I live on the opposite side of the state and Nebraska (depending on whether I'm at college or home, but home is Iowa), so I don't have a ton of info on B&M's in Des Moines. You might look for David's Briar Shop. David used to have a shop in Sioux City and Omaha/Council Bluffs, but those have closed. I do believe however that he has one still open in Des Moines. I met an owner of a B&M (in Colorado oddly, I believe the name of the shop was The Tobacco Leaf) who asked me where I was from. When I told him, he said, "Oh! I'm from Omaha! Do you know David? We were buddies in highschool! If you see him tell him I said hi!".. amazing how small this world truly is.

Anyhow, if you do meet him, tell him a highschool buddy of his who owns The Tobacco Leaf in CO told a guy who met him a few years back says hi lol. I would be quite interested in his reply lol.

If you're ever in Omaha or Lincoln, visit Ted's Tobacco (Lincoln is more pipe oriented, but Omaha aint bad). Wonderful place, and wonderful people. If you meet Mike or Ted, tell them Travis from Onawa recommended them to you.

Whew, sorry my reply was so long! Best wishes and happy puffing!

Thanks for the reply! I've been to Davids a few times, not bad a few tins but mostly bulk aromatics and a decent mid price range pipe selection. I've met the owner Greg David a few times next time I'm in there I'll be sure to mention The Tobacco Leaf.

Okay, please forgive the folling question, I'm finally gonna ask. Been smoking a pipe for a decade and always knew those places as "smokeshops." Not to be confused with cigarette shops or pothead establishments.

Please tell me what "B&M" stands for, I beg of you.

B&M stands for Brick and Mortar. The actual tobacco shop you go into. The online mail order sites are called e-tailers.

I´ve always called them "tobacco shops" but the online community has defined the teminology for us now... :lol:

David's Briar shop is the only one in the Des Moines area that I'm familiar with, hey have a decent selection of pipes and their own blends as well as Peterson and Dunhill blends, etc. I would recommend them but it's cheaper to shop online than in that shop haha