Desktop Humidor Cigar Storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Savoy desktop humidor. I was wondering how others store their cigars in a smaller sized humidor and if it differs from a larger size? The primary question is... do you leave the cellophane on your individually purchased cigars or do you remove it prior to storage?
Thank You,
Milan

Milan, in my experience, the primary difference between a small desktop and a larger model, is that the larger model will always maintain it's humidity much easier. This is because the cigars themselves act as a sponge, and the more cigars you have stored inside your desktop, the easier it is to capture and hold 70% humidity.

As for the cello's, they are designed to breathe. However, I almost always remove mine, so as to allow more unobstructed contact and marrying of the cigars individual tobaccos within a specific humidor. The cello's can serve as a protective barrier however, if you have a mixture of different cigars in the same humidor, and want to restrict or slow the marrying process between individual cigars.

Obviously, the cello's are intended for protection, but I use a small travel humidor or travel tube most of the time to address protection and humidity issues.

I have had a 50ct desktop for years. When I started...importing...cigars and buying more boxes then singles I got a cooler. It does such a good job of keeping rh level that I moved everything out of the desktop into the cooler. I leave my cigars as they come. If they're wrapped in cello I leave 'em wrapped, if they're in tubes, they stay in tubes.

Dave_In_Philly":ues5jne6 said:
I have had a 50ct desktop for years. When I started...importing...cigars and buying more boxes then singles I got a cooler. It does such a good job of keeping rh level that I moved everything out of the desktop into the cooler. I leave my cigars as they come. If they're wrapped in cello I leave 'em wrapped, if they're in tubes, they stay in tubes.
Can you describe your cooler set up for me? There are some boxes out there that I'd love to get... first would be a box of Camacho Liberty Series 11's. I love them, but have only ordered singles due to my limited space. I'd love to know or even see your cooler set up.
Thanks,
Milan

Milan":aryq8jn1 said:
Dave_In_Philly":aryq8jn1 said:
Can you describe your cooler set up for me? There are some boxes out there that I'd love to get... first would be a box of Camacho Liberty Series 11's. I love them, but have only ordered singles due to my limited space. I'd love to know or even see your cooler set up.
Thanks,
Milan

There's not much to set up.
Some people line their's with Spanish Cedar,
or build shelves and stuff. Me, I wash out
a new cooler with dish soap and warm water,
dry it and fill it with boxes. I spose shelves
are useful for singles, but I put my singles
in humidors. I just stack the boxes in the
cooler - cigar Tetris. :lol:
Many people also like big coolers.
I prefer 48qt coolers; they stack nicely in the
closet and all yer eggs ain't in one basket.
Also, don't waste money on one of those
"Extreme" boxes; you ain't puttin' ice in there.

Interesting. I didn't know that you can use an ordinary cooler to store cigars. I'm assuming this only works with closed boxes and that once you open a box that the cigars need to go into the humidor at that time?
Thanks,
Milan

Milan":fai5k0hq said:
Interesting. I didn't know that you can use an ordinary cooler to store cigars. I'm assuming this only works with closed boxes and that once you open a box that the cigars need to go into the humidor at that time?
Thanks,
Milan
Anything air tight can be a humidor.
Coolers are especially good because
they're air tight (of course), made
of food grade plastic, they're light,
rigid, control temperature swings, etc.
For humidification, I use Heartfelt Beads
(65%) in all my humidors and coolers.
They're so good, I don't bother with hygrometers.

Heartfelt

Yup I use a standard Coleman cooler. I have a half pound of heartfelt beads @65% rh in it and it sits right at 65-66%. I have 5 or 6 boxes in it and an open tupperware container with about 50 singles in it. It keeps such a steady rh I took everything out of my desktop.

I have a picture but I can't post it from my phone.

Here are a couple of links I used:

www.cigarpass.com/index.php/build-a-cigar-coolidor.html

www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13217

Thanks for the links Dave. I'm going cooler shopping tomorrow!
Cheers & Health,
Milan

One last question... Do you ever need to replace the beads or do they last forever?
Thanks,
Milan

Milan":kdincffz said:
One last question... Do you ever need to replace the beads or do they last forever?
Thanks,
Milan

I dunno 'bout forever, but they'll last as long as you need em to. :lol:

Milan":m2l0sztq said:
Thanks,
Milan
I've read where the manufacturer recommends that you replace your beads every 2 years, however if your humidor is maintaining the desired humidity level consistently, I can't see any need for replacement.

Thanks for all your help guys. I've got my desktop rolling at a nice 70%. It finally settled down. I was getting low readings for the first couple days, but it's dead on now. I've also ordered some 65% beads from the place that Hermit mentioned. I even got a little bag and digital hygrometer. I'm going to get a cooler today so that I'm prepared to start buying boxes of my favorite sticks. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me and happy new year.
Cheers & Health,
Milan