Developers, Programmers, or IT Professionals?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarlockBob

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
How many of you wonderful folks on here work in the IS, IT, or other tech fields? I like to think that there's a few of us on here, to make me feel a little better at least. :p

They're keepin' their heads down.
(Note to self: Hit up WarlockBob next time I have a Windows issue.) :lol:

They're keepin' their heads down.
(Note to self: Hit up WarlockBob next time I have a Windows issue.)
I guess they are... It appears for good reason too! :p

Sadly enough, I do know my way around Windows a little too well...

Used to be, not any more. Concentrating more on GIS, digital cartography and figuring out ESRI/ArcGIS programs related to my line of current work. It's much more gratifying to be the idiot with the problems than the one solving them--except I own my own company, so the idiot and tech department is an all-in-one plight for me. :lol: *sigh*

Rob_In_MO":cf9imefl said:
DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11, along with X-Base and Clipper 5.01 :lol:
Wow! Clipper...haven't messed with that turkey in years along with Report Writer. Glad that era is over.

Aristokles":plet252x said:
Wow! Clipper...haven't messed with that turkey in years along with Report Writer. Glad that era is over.
I was going to add Novell Netware 286 and Aldus Pagemaker to the list, but I felt that would be pushing it a bit. :lol:

pagema10.png

:lol!:

So far, no one chiming in about programming punch cards or toggle switches... :lol:

Rob_In_MO":xyvrukpc said:
Aristokles":xyvrukpc said:
I was going to add Novell Netware 286 and Aldus Pagemaker to the list, but I felt that would be pushing it a bit. :lol:

:lol!:
Memories...chuckle
Rather than admit a phase of digital madness in my past I will just say when I wish to boggle my mind now, to keep it sharp, you know, I study Attic Greek. Quaranteed hours of head-banging with no particular purpose in mind.

Kyle Weiss":x1l709qz said:
So far, no one chiming in about programming punch cards or toggle switches... :lol:
You mean like what we used on my Sperry-Rand "mainframe" in the sixties? Who would admit to be THAT old?

Kyle Weiss":18mq1uhz said:
Haha. In first year of Computer Science, we actually had an old RPG-2 (or RPG-x, dont' remember exactly) machine that used those giant 8" Floppy Discs. It was replaced during the schoolyear with a Novell Network. (running 286 terminals and a 386 Server) :lol:

How about the old Sun SPARC workstations? :lol:

Rob_In_MO":0xe11ujv said:
Kyle Weiss":0xe11ujv said:
Haha. In first year of Computer Science, we actually had an old RPG-2 (or RPG-x, dont' remember exactly) machine that used those giant 8" Floppy Discs. It was replaced during the schoolyear with a Novell Network. (running 286 terminals and a 386 Server) :lol:

Like the SunSparc 20 I gave away two years ago? Begone...slug, single sync monitor was good boat ballast. .

Haha! Wow! I'm a fan of hearing about all this. I'm really just starting out but right now I'm working in the WAN department of my company. Gotta love the Cisco IOS. Well, you don't have to but I certainly like their command line stuff a lot more than their GUI's.... :p

My degree consists of programming though, and I've gotten to do some serious C#, java, and ASP.NET stuff with a little COBOL (company I work for manages banks). I'd like to get into some mobile app development or some real deep web development, or go into db development or a sysadmin role.

Rob_In_MO":8nmmqu0k said:
Kyle Weiss":8nmmqu0k said:

I used a Sun SPARC workstation. About a year 2000 edition. No training at all. We used it to pass print jobs from the network to an Xerox DP-96 printer. They could have bought a network ready DP-96, but nooooo. Frankly, working with the SPARC was a lot like working with the TRS-80 Model I, II, and III's. Or the Commodore CP/M machines. Just faster.

We had a TRS 80 (something) set up with a bunch of games we made on it, usually to frustrate and make people laugh. Kind of like "20 questions" or something.

I'm so glad I'm de-geeked enough to not be viable as a tech anymore. Liberating. :heart: I have a huge box full of old hi/lo CMOS chips someplace. I think the idea was to make a hippie bead curtain out of them.

I started IT in 1970, it was called data processing back then. a couple of IBM 1130's, a sorter, a collorator, a paper tape reader, 2 j35 teletypes and a room full of key punch operators. The collorators had a board that had to be wired based on how you wanted the two presorted decks of punch cards merged. The 8" (yes 8) diskette (floppy disk) were an invention from heaven. The progressed through an assortment of IBM mainframes 360/20,30,40,50.. DOS, VM, MVS, etc.. moved from operations to the tech services to help keep the DOS & VM systems running while the real technie's worked to install MVS. Switched jobs went directly in as system programmer support a new install of POS registers in 2600 retails store, NCP and VTAM on the mainframes. Switched jobs again sr sys programmer NCP, VTAM, CICS.. then servers, tcpip, switches, etc.. so, I moved to sr network engineer. configuring cisco routers, switches. then when the hosps started to go with wireless devices I became the sr wireless network engineer managing the surveying, installation and tuning of wireless for 8 hospitals, bunch of urgent care clinic and doctors offices. I reired 3 years ago.

Carlos":8nld7vfc said:
Frankly, working with the SPARC was a lot like working with the TRS-80 Model I, II, and III's. Or the Commodore CP/M machines. Just faster.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :lol:

Actually years ago I upgraded from the C-64 to the C-128 so I had the 1571 DS/DD Floppy Drive (Woohoo :cheers: ) and CP/M compatibility. One thing that stood out was how similar the 128's BASIC language was to the PC's at the time - much closer and compatible than the C-64's BASIC Interpreter.

My Uncle brought me one of his 5.25" floppy disks with a game on it called 'Wizard's Castle'. It was a BASIC language scrolling text game. Using a C-128 program called 'Big Blue Reader' my C-128 and 1571 Drive could read/write in 360K IBM format. Out of that 20-something K basic program (a hell of a lot of lines), all I had to change was the 'CLS' to 'SCNCLR' commands to clear the screen - everything else worked flawlessly. Later transcribing that program to the C-64's BASIC language took a whole hell of a lot more work though... :x