DGT

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterE

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
DGT or Delayed Gratification Technique. No, not THAT one- the OTHER one!

I´ve been getting in to packing bowls, giving them the charring light, then getting back to then much later. Hours later. I´m finding this really brings another dimension to the flavor. A "crisper" flavor, and well defined. It seems like tobaccos with toppings even out a lot more and the topping is more part of the blend than the dominant note (OJK and Haddos, for example). Also the effect is much different that smoking half the bowl and coming back to it later as happens from time to time.

I´ve never deliberately done this before, only when I was interrupted and had to put the pipe down.

I know this is a fairly common practice but would love to hear what fellow BoB´s think.

Any thoughts?

During the week, I tend to smoke my pipe in thirds thoughout the day with several hours between sessions. First on the way to work, then on lunch, then on the way home. I personally find the first third to be the most enjoyable, when the tobacco is fresh. Some blends of course are effected more than others, but in general I prefer the flavor from a bowl of fresh weed.

I will agree that some interesting things happen to dgt'd baccy, and I think it is probably worth exploring dgt when getting to know a blend, it's just that in general I find that I usually prefer IGT (instant gratification technique).

A "crisper" flavor, and well defined
MisterE, I have noticed this myself. I usually smoke flakes in a pipe over the course of a day or two, and it gets crispier each time.

Frost":g9l1self said:
During the week, I tend to smoke my pipe in thirds thoughout the day with several hours between sessions. First on the way to work, then on lunch, then on the way home. I personally find the first third to be the most enjoyable, when the tobacco is fresh. Some blends of course are effected more than others, but in general I prefer the flavor from a bowl of fresh weed.

I will agree that some interesting things happen to dgt'd baccy, and I think it is probably worth exploring dgt when getting to know a blend, it's just that in general I find that I usually prefer IGT (instant gratification technique).
To keep smoke out of the house at least a little and not choke the wife I usually smoke when the weather it not cooperating at the kitchen vent -a-hood which is a very good one that vents through the roof. If the weather is good I like going out on the back deck to look at the lake.

So my norm is the vent hood and I have a horrible back so don't stand there too long at a time plus when it's day time I am tying a lot so not a lot of relax time to sit and smoke anyway. So I have found especially with VA & VaPer that when I get a good light done it's pretty hot so I sit it back down for a few minutes and then I return to have my first bit and this seems to help a lot on the first portion of the bowl and taste better in general. I probably quit it 5 maybe 6 times through the morning and afternoon and each time back just a little and gone again. I enjoy this way a lot more than just sitting down and smoking the entire bowl and each time it's very nice. I probably go through 2-4 bowls a day and evening, maybe less in big pipes and this fits my taste and life better for me and I actually like it better.

Skip

Most of what I know about smoking pipes comes either from sites like this, from the beloved Tobacco Reviews site and from hard knocks, etc. I first noted the term DGT over at the TR site and started looking for more detail some years ago...then when I thought I had the arena nailed, I moved on to other topics of interest. Then I noticed that some of the traditional lore re: DGT was a bit suspect so I paid more attention to it here and there over time. That's all said to pave the way for this comment...whether it works well or not is almost totally dependent on the blend of tobacco in question. To my experience, pure VA's most generally allow an effective DGT...VA's that are blended with Perique usually work well also...VA's with Burley SOMETIMES work OK, sometimes not. VA's mixed with Orientals (ie. Balkans) are also a mixed bag...trial and error will reveal the ones that do this well. Forget about aromatics, they get sour (not that I'm an expert on aromatics by any means). Try DGT with Tambolaka and you get this really gakky nasty stuff resultant.

So this presents an interesting possibility - if VA's do the best, is it because the qualtiy of tobacco AND it's handling during preparation are very high guality? Is it something in the nature of the tobacco...or in the manner in which it's prep'd? Don't know the answer, but I think the key is the VA. You can trust it.

A further question is, why does a rest after a charring light present such a nice following bowl (?). I've wondered about this and think that maybe that initial charring light is 'toasting' or possibly drying the tobacco to an ideal moisture level!

Another question is how long can a 'toasted' or partially smoked bowl of tobacco 'last'? Can you safely pick it up after an hour...three hours...the next morning, etc.?

So - lots of various issues and questions re: the DGT thing...and we haven't even covered the bowl, the phase of the moon, how close to payday??? Wow! This HAS to be worth a research grant from SOMEWHERE!?!

^^^^^

That would seem to jive with what I've come across so far as well. I haven't been smoking much striaght virginia, tending more towards burleys & va/per, va/or, va/per/ors which might go a ways towards explaining my distaste for dgt'd baccy.

For the most part, the stuff with orientals as well as burley stuff don't do so well with me after dgt. The ones that seem to me to be the least negatively effected are the Va/pers. I still prefer them "fresh", but I'm not quite as offended by a little dgt with a va/per as I am with some oriental and/or burley blends.

Blackhorse":1awx1gnx said:
Most of what I know about smoking pipes comes either from sites like this, from the beloved Tobacco Reviews site and from hard knocks, etc. I first noted the term DGT over at the TR site and started looking for more detail some years ago...then when I thought I had the arena nailed, I moved on to other topics of interest. Then I noticed that some of the traditional lore re: DGT was a bit suspect so I paid more attention to it here and there over time. That's all said to pave the way for this comment...whether it works well or not is almost totally dependent on the blend of tobacco in question. To my experience, pure VA's most generally allow an effective DGT...VA's that are blended with Perique usually work well also...VA's with Burley SOMETIMES work OK, sometimes not. VA's mixed with Orientals (ie. Balkans) are also a mixed bag...trial and error will reveal the ones that do this well. Forget about aromatics, they get sour (not that I'm an expert on aromatics by any means). Try DGT with Tambolaka and you get this really gakky nasty stuff resultant.

So this presents an interesting possibility - if VA's do the best, is it because the qualtiy of tobacco AND it's handling during preparation are very high guality? Is it something in the nature of the tobacco...or in the manner in which it's prep'd? Don't know the answer, but I think the key is the VA. You can trust it.

A further question is, why does a rest after a charring light present such a nice following bowl (?). I've wondered about this and think that maybe that initial charring light is 'toasting' or possibly drying the tobacco to an ideal moisture level!

Another question is how long can a 'toasted' or partially smoked bowl of tobacco 'last'? Can you safely pick it up after an hour...three hours...the next morning, etc.?

So - lots of various issues and questions re: the DGT thing...and we haven't even covered the bowl, the phase of the moon, how close to payday??? Wow! This HAS to be worth a research grant from SOMEWHERE!?!
:cheers:

Honest answer is I have for many years loaded 6 pipes all with different tobaccos,charred them the night before and have had no bad results. maybe the high humidity in fla.I dont think the type of tobacco makes a difference.

Gentlemen,
I present for your consideration, a recent unearthing in one of my old notebooks. It is as follows...Note to self: Your tobacco will taste better "after" being lit.

What say ye?

sand18f":hzs6gmwt said:
Gentlemen,
I present for your consideration, a recent unearthing in one of my old notebooks. It is as follows...Note to self: Your tobacco will taste better "after" being lit.

What say ye?
Yes, the Keep it Simple philosophy.....

It like the story of the guy who is returning his new chainsaw to the hardware store...

"I want to return this- I was cutting ALL DAY and only managed one tree...."

"Well of course sir, that´s not good, lets see what´s wrong with it" says the clerk, and starts up the chainsaw...

"Hey, what´s that noise!??" says the customer...

sand18f":wwc6ofbz said:
Gentlemen,

What say ye?
I would have to concur. Interestingly, I have found this is even more true if you put it in the pipe before lighting.

Burley tastes like crap DGT'd. From what I've heard, burley is generally air-cured, like cigar leaf, which is notoriously bad when relit. Maybe it has something to do with curing method. Virginia's also tend to be sweeter, so that could make a difference.