Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Here's the email I just got from senator Feinstein after I wrote to protest the tax proposal.

Thank you for writing me to express your opposition to the "Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2013." I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

I am concerned about the harmful effects that smoking and tobacco use have on Americans. The use of tobacco is the single-leading cause of cancer today and is estimated to account for nearly 30% of all cancer deaths. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one in every five deaths in the United States is smoking-related. While smoking among adults declined by about 17% between 1965 and 1991, it has not declined further since 1991. Additionally, I am extremely alarmed by the continuous increases in teenage and childhood smoking and the effects of secondhand smoke.

On January 31, 2013, Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) introduced the "Tobacco Tax Parity Act" (S. 194). This legislation would increase the excise tax on pipe tobacco to make it equal to the tax on roll-your-own tobacco, which is $24.78 per pound. Please know that I will keep your opposition in mind should this or similar legislation come before me in the Senate.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. If you should have any further comments or questions, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Of note, no acknowledgement of the enormous difference between cigarettes and pipe tobacco. No concern for actual facts, just the typical media spin blurbs people love to accept.

She follows whatever path will lead her to contributions. If these punitive measures go into effect, she can say to her constituent Do Gooders, "I stood up against Big Tobacco. Send me contributions." If not, she can say, "I fought until the bitter end against Big Tobacco. Our fight continues. Send me contributions." She's a money-grubbing, odd-looking zombie.

I always reply to their with facts and telling them they need to embrace harm reduction.

Pipes, cigars, dip and chew are all less harmful than cigarettes. Snus and snuff as well.

I'm not sure any politician can take any other view of tobacco in any way other than Feinstein's. Cutting down to its knees all tobacco production and consumption of whatever form, cigarettes, pipes, etc. is the only acceptable political solution. This was the outcome of the suit against Big Tobacco. The world politicians, unfortunately, have closed ranks against us.

The tax on pipe tobacco will be increased to match Roll-Your-Own tax at less than $30 per pound. Living in Canada, I can't say I'm weeping for you right now. My tobacco tax on pipe tobacco is around $136.00 per pound.

That being said, I buy most of my tobacco from the states, so if your taxes go up, so do mine.

BTW, how frustrating! Holy crap. How in the hell are we supposed to get anything done if even when we try we get handled like we're f**king children. :evil:

That's my point...

Americans 'vote' (click whatever) for a bunch of jackass just because they claim to have a solution..
Considering I've never held office, never written tax policy, don't smoke, and don't live in California, I'm amazed anyone would even care to see my solution.. The even more amazing thing is I got a second term even after it was totally apparent my first was a total blundering waste of time and energy..and simply because I said (again) I have the solution.

That's American politics in a nutshell.. It doesn't matter which jackass we elect when at best they have no clue what they are doing and when at worst (as in my post) they are trying to force their ideas into your head.. and we still dutifully go click for their solution...

puros_bran":pow5m61g said:
That's my point...

Americans 'vote' (click whatever) for a bunch of jackass just because they claim to have a solution..
Considering I've never held office, never written tax policy, don't smoke, and don't live in California, I'm amazed anyone would even care to see my solution.. The even more amazing thing is I got a second term even after it was totally apparent my first was a total blundering waste of time and energy..and simply because I said (again) I have the solution.

That's American politics in a nutshell.. It doesn't matter which jackass we elect when at best they have no clue what they are doing and when at worst (as in my post) they are trying to force their ideas into your head.. and we still dutifully go click for their solution...
That phenomenon is not unique to America. What happens down here in terms of repeat incompetence/corruption makes the US version look like kids stuff.